And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on July 06, 2016, 04:43:19 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 06, 2016, 04:19:19 PM
So without my knowledge the wife decided to get a cleaning lady.  Guess I need to stock up on Lemon Pledge :ph34r:

That's a euphemism, isn't it.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maladict

Dutch prisoners are to receive the key to their cell, and in some cases, their block.
The keys are activated at 7 AM and deactivated at 5 PM in a bid to give the prisoners more responsibility.

Guards welcome the idea as it saves them a lot of work. Some prisoners are having a hard time dealing with the responsibility, though:
"you have to remember to lock the door to keep your stuff safe. It is prison, you know."

derspiess

That would probably work great in the US.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on July 07, 2016, 02:00:43 PM
That would probably work great in the US.

Is that all you've got to say? Racist.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Finally made it to the local Catholic store (there actually is such a thing) and bought a St. Jude's medal.

The older Austrian lady running the place told me in order for it to work I have to get it blessed by a priest.  I asked her if he'll do even if I'm not Catholic.  She said I don't have to tell him.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2016, 04:40:51 PM
Finally made it to the local Catholic store (there actually is such a thing) and bought a St. Jude's medal.

The older Austrian lady running the place told me in order for it to work I have to get it blessed by a priest.  I asked her if he'll do even if I'm not Catholic.  She said I don't have to tell him.

And why would you do such a thing?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

St. Jude is the patron of hopeless causes; is everything okay?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

Ah God bless her.

Your heathen soul might not care but at least she tried :P :pope:

As an aside there's nothing odd about a Priest blessing a non-Catholic, they'll do it every mass at communion. It's not a sacrament. It's more like a gold star for colouring in/existing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 07, 2016, 06:39:08 PM

Ah God bless her.

Your heathen soul might not care but at least she tried :P :pope:

As an aside there's nothing odd about a Priest blessing a non-Catholic, they'll do it every mass at communion. It's not a sacrament. It's more like a gold star for colouring in/existing.

Yeah, that always felt very patronizing to me at mass at my Jesuit high school. <_<

Sheilbh

Could be worse. I once went to an Anglican service and got asked to join a prayer circle at the altar.

Never left a building so quick :bleeding:

Edit: And as a kid I used to get taken out of assembly when the local Kirk Minister would bore on to go and sit with the other couple of Catholic kids and the priest (probably not allowed now) and go through Sunday school stuff to avoid the dangerous touch of Presbyterianism :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 07, 2016, 06:45:34 PM
Could be worse. I once went to an Anglican service and got asked to join a prayer circle at the altar.

Never left a building so quick :bleeding:

Edit: And as a kid I used to get taken out of assembly when the local Kirk Minister would bore on to go and sit with the other couple of Catholic kids and the priest (probably not allowed now) and go through Sunday school stuff to avoid the dangerous touch of Presbyterianism :lol:

You know when I'm spending my week up in the highlands I'm of half a mind to go to a small-town Presbyterian service.  Canadian Presbyterians are pretty mushy, I wonder if Highland scots are a little more old-school.

Duque de Bragança

Sheilbh

No they've even started to support guy marriage...

If you're on an island you might get some of the old time religion. If not look for anything in front of Kirk of Scotland. Like the Free Kirk of Scotland (wee frees) or the High Free kirk of Scotland (wee wee frees). Mostly it'll be boring though. No set book of prayers so expect twenty minute improvised 'let us pray' and a boring sermon.

Your average minister, the legendary Rev. I M Jolly:
https://youtu.be/QSDaNIdmV-Y

Edit: I love this from the Free Kirk wiki:
Since its inauguration until the events of 2010, only the psalms of the Old Testament (and in a very few instances, paraphrases of other parts of the Bible) were sung during the services. Musical instruments were never used.

'The events of 2010' being a decision to allow the singing of hymns and the use of musical instruments :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!