And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on February 04, 2016, 11:56:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 04, 2016, 11:42:17 PM
Out of boredom I've taken up learning Russian on the net.  What a goofy language.

I used to think that, but then I started to learn Ukrainian. Raz, let me tell you, THAT is THE goofy language*.

*really it's just a dialect of Russian, albeit a super goofy one, but I'll humor the Ukrainians on this point.

Please die in a fire.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

People who speak Ukrainian sound like Goofs. It is known.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 05, 2016, 01:02:00 AM

Fuck you. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2016, 12:48:59 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 04, 2016, 11:56:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 04, 2016, 11:42:17 PM
Out of boredom I've taken up learning Russian on the net.  What a goofy language.

I used to think that, but then I started to learn Ukrainian. Raz, let me tell you, THAT is THE goofy language*.

*really it's just a dialect of Russian, albeit a super goofy one, but I'll humor the Ukrainians on this point.

Please die in a fire.

I dunno if I'd even call it just a dialect...I think it is pretty different.  I took the DoD's test on Ukrainian, and while I didn't meet the minimum passing standards, I got fairly close  (without studying it at all).  But still...it is just a multiple-guess test, and honestly, I could barely make sense of it at all...only understanding a few common words/phrases.

Syt

I knew a guy from Lviv. He said that when he speaks Ukrainian, Russians have a hard time understanding him, if at all. OTOH he said he finds Polish easy to follow. :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Yes. I sit next to a guy from lviv at work and he says the same.
I guess it could be a dialect in the Scottish vein? They have no trouble with regular english though southerners can't understand them at all.
The differences at the least seem bigger than between the Scandinavian languages.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Do you guys mean Lemberg?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on February 05, 2016, 03:46:45 AM
I guess it could be a dialect in the Scottish vein? They have no trouble with regular english though southerners can't understand them at all.

I know not what you mean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le_uNGdpa4c
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

It's a different language, with a different vocabulary.  Just because many Ukrainians, especially in government, have a difficulty speaking the language without heavily and often comically mixing it with Russian doesn't mean the languages are similar.  I for one cannot understand Ukrainian anymore, not any better than Polish anyway.

Josquius

A history of japan in 10 minutes.
Rather good :lol:
https://youtu.be/Mh5LY4Mz15o
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Duque de Bragança

Tonitrus

Quote from: celedhring on February 05, 2016, 05:30:33 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 05, 2016, 04:58:23 AM
A history of japan in 10 minutes.
Rather good :lol:
https://youtu.be/Mh5LY4Mz15o

Heh, that was fun indeed.

There is way to many attempts at humorous, encapsulated history lessons done in an annoying monotone narrative these days.

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 05, 2016, 01:02:00 AM

Sounds the same as Russian to me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Russians also sound like Goofs, but BB is less sensitive about that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?