News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

QuoteIt also looks like you've a good set of high income households in outer zones. Just on a quick search (so data 7 years old) - looks like you've fair amount of higher weekly income households in outer zones. Worst largely zone 2/3 (particularly East London) which is also the place where recently many of the previous zone 3 stops have become zones 2/3 to make it easier (aka more affordable) for people to travel to those stops.

And in the process made the map oh so ugly :(

I wouldn't underestimate the difference of 7 years. The rising price of living in London,  gentrification, the poor being pushed out,  etc.... is a very current issue.  And a trend which shows no sign of slowing.
I tried to find figures from the census (though even that is 5 years old now...jesus) but they don't seem to have income data publicly available.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2016, 09:31:40 PM
Quote from: Liep on January 08, 2016, 09:29:08 PM
I'd like to try that bike, but i wonder just how much more forgiving it'll be when I start a climb in a wrong gear. :P

Yeah, I'd be interested in giving it a go.

What is this 'climb' you refer to.  :bowler: (flatlands)

The northern parts of Sjælland is moraine landscape shaped from the last ice age, so while it may not be tall climbs there sure are a lot of steep ones in the forests.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2016, 07:51:52 PM
Something for Maladict or Liep, saw one of these in the local bike shop, didn't see what it was at first and gave it little attention as it was apparently a mountain bike.

But low and behold it's an electric 27.5 mountain bike, from it's geometry, the components and the confidence my friend had in it's technology, it seems to be the first really useful mass market off-road electric bike, impressive:

I think the price was a bit under 2000 GBP so say 2,900 USD.

It was only a matter of time, I guess.  :(
Call me a purist but I don't really see the point of this.

Liep

It's a toy and it might be fun, should there be another point?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on January 09, 2016, 08:23:08 AM

Indeed as you say and certainly not for me or Mal, but I guess if it keeps some people out and about enjoying the countryside, perhaps it'll stop some of the moving onto more environmentally damaging hobbies like golf.   :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on January 09, 2016, 08:23:08 AM

I can see how it might be helpful for people who can't otherwise enjoy offroad biking, but I fail to see the fun part.

Martinus

Eddie Teach

Why is the horse better for that than a dog(which is way easier to find)?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 09, 2016, 08:16:02 PM

I could lay my hands on a couple of miniature horses quite quickly. :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

And I bet they are far less house trained.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2016, 08:19:15 PM

I could lay my hands on a couple of miniature horses quite quickly. :ph34r:

Okay, Brain.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

I've never heard the phrase "hung like a dog" as a positive descriptor.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

That horse appears to be female.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 09, 2016, 11:04:52 PM
That horse appears to be female.

I don't think females have a hole in the front like that.