Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Recruits are cheaper I guess.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on December 17, 2015, 01:17:44 AM
Indeed. And clearly the Wolfman means that these people are "immigrants without documents", rather than "illegal aliens". Those are two very different views of the same human beings, with a significant difference in ideological and political premises.

That's not clearly what he means, since they presumably have some documents, just not the ones that prove their legal right to reside in the US.

Brazen

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on December 17, 2015, 10:14:34 AM

It makes no sense why that would be the case. But I guess they wanted everybody to get how Han and Luke could disguise themselves in Episode 4 or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2015, 10:31:52 AM

It makes no sense why that would be the case. But I guess they wanted everybody to get how Han and Luke could disguise themselves in Episode 4 or something.

You can read about the non-canon turn of events here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kamino_uprising
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Brazen on December 17, 2015, 09:02:44 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 17, 2015, 08:40:34 AM
They were wrong, he is. Padme died. It only takes 1 parent to die.

I see that some people use it that way. I'd actually suggest that someone could be an orphan even with no parents dead - simply if they parents had abandoned the child.
I haven't seen a dictionary definition that defines the word other than someone both of whose parents are dead  :huh:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/orphan

[edit] OK, one non-British dictionary concedes less commonly it can mean one parent.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/orphan

[/quote]

In French the definition is : both dead or one dead.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2015, 10:31:52 AM

It makes sense to me.
The clones were very skilfully made to order, presumably at great cost, by those tall aliens (iirc). I guess the reason this was done is that the Republic likes to keep war sanitised and not involve actual citizens in it.
Meanwhile the Star Wars world is clearly one where slavery, massive poverty, and unemployment are plentiful. You can get young men cheap without having to pay for making and raising them.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on December 17, 2015, 11:06:22 AM
It makes sense to me.
The clones were very skilfully made to order, presumably at great cost, by those tall aliens (iirc). I guess the reason this was done is that the Republic likes to keep war sanitised and not involve actual citizens in it.
Meanwhile the Star Wars world is clearly one where slavery, massive poverty, and unemployment are plentiful. You can get young men cheap without having to pay for making and raising them.

Yes but you have to train them. They have to be brainwashed to be fanatically loyal and strictly disciplined. The Clones come pre-packaged like that. Plus they could be that expensive if Palpatine was able to secretly buy them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2015, 11:16:14 AM
Yes but you have to train them. They have to be brainwashed to be fanatically loyal and strictly disciplined. The Clones come pre-packaged like that. Plus they could be that expensive if Palpatine was able to secretly buy them.

There is also the time-honored imperial tradition of conscripting criminals into the army.  Using them as soldiers is probably cheaper and less disruptive than warehousing them.  Plus, their flawed moral compass would be an asset to an organization like the Galactic Empire.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2015, 11:16:14 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 17, 2015, 11:06:22 AM
It makes sense to me.

You have to train them to make them miss? I guess you're right, they are the only ones who are that inaccurate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Brazen on December 17, 2015, 06:26:10 AM
It's my company Christmas do tonight, so I shoved the two outfits that still fit in my bag and haven't decided yet. Sparkly top and pencil skirt or star-print dress? Chinese silk jacquard trainers (gold on black) or heeled crocodile-embossed boots?

Sparkly and croc.

mongers

Has WW3 started or is there some big sporting event on as this is the first post in 2h20m in the main forum.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

A new Star Wars movie came out.  :secret:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.