Cramer is the screamy guy on CNBC.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2015, 08:26:47 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 16, 2015, 08:24:02 PM
Who or what is a wolfman?

It ain't that screamy chap on CaNaBaC?

Wolf Blitzer, main anchor on CNN.

Cramer is the screamy guy on CNBC.

Cheers, now I get it and I do remember both of them.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

I blew a perfectly good opportunity to tell you to look it up yourself.  :(

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2015, 08:22:00 PM
Can't tell if you're being serious or not.
I'm not sure what the bleeding eyes was in reference to.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on December 16, 2015, 10:34:46 PM

The substitution of "undocumented immigrant" for "illegal alien."

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2015, 10:37:16 PM
Quote from: Maximus on December 16, 2015, 10:34:46 PM

The substitution of "undocumented immigrant" for "illegal alien."

You think using the term "illegal alien" is important?

sbr

It's almost as important as using "radical Islamic terrorism"

Ed Anger

I call illegals "farm equipment".
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2015, 10:43:11 PM

I think saying what you mean is important.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 17, 2015, 12:02:50 AM

I think that's missing the forest for the trees. The two different phrases are now political statements, the way that the speakers of these statements view these people is now fundamentally different and the language they use reflects that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 17, 2015, 12:02:50 AM

Indeed. And clearly the Wolfman means that these people are "immigrants without documents", rather than "illegal aliens". Those are two very different views of the same human beings, with a significant difference in ideological and political premises.

garbon

I think undocumented is misleading. It makes it sound like the documents went missing or were for some inocuous* reason never granted. Hides the fact that these individuals were never given permission to reside on a permanent basis and in many cases not given permission to even enter the country.

I think illegal alien is a more accurate term though I understand concerns about how it makes it seem like individuals are illegal/criminals at their core and all that they do in the country is bad.

*or malicious as in government refused to give them permission they deserve.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on December 17, 2015, 01:29:56 AM
I think undocumented is misleading. It makes it sound like the documents went missing or were for some inocuous* reason never granted. Hides the fact that these individuals were never given permission to reside on a permanent basis and in many cases not given permission to even enter the country.

I think illegal alien is a more accurate term though I understand concerns about how it makes it seem like individuals are illegal/criminals at their core and all that they do in the country is bad.

*or malicious as in government refused to give them permission they deserve.

It's a matter of what you want to emphasize. If the important thing is that they're breaking the law and that they don't belong, then yeah "illegal alien" is the best most accurate term. If the important thing is that they're immigrants looking to better their lives but they're doing it outside of the official system, then "undocumented immigrants" is a more accurate term.

Both terms are misleading in the sense that they focus on a particular perception of the people and obfuscating others through omission. Given that "illegal aliens" have been used consistently in political rhetoric for several decades to blame those individuals for a number of problems, and given that the term has been used primarily in contexts designed to rile up sentiment against them, I don't think "it's more accurate" is the most relevant argument in favour of the term.

Syt

Quote from: sbr on December 16, 2015, 10:44:16 PM
It's almost as important as using "radical Islamic terrorism"

Well, you don't want to put your Islamic terrorists in the same basket as the much more nefarious *radical* Islamic terrorists.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.