And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on December 01, 2015, 08:00:14 AM
I often see people on Oxford Street riding about on those. <_<

Several Bengals players have them and ride them around between practices & workouts.  Just waiting for one of them to fall off and miss games due to injury :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I'm rather surprised that those things are sturdy enough to carry NFL players. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on December 01, 2015, 06:06:24 AM
so, in Hungary, the government has started buying up the electricity providers. Because it's easier to win elections when you can just decrease utility prices and pay the difference from tax money. But ANYWAYS, the first change with one of the providers was rather symbolic of the increased efficiency of state ownership.

The provider's web address was "elmu.hu" The new ownership has changed this to:

elmuemaszenergiaszolgaltato.hu

:lmfao:
1: yay capitalism
2: they really don't get this .com thing do they
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Tyr, if a country's government buying up a private enterprise is capitalism, what isn't?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on December 01, 2015, 11:51:15 AM
Tyr, if a country's government buying up a private enterprise is capitalism, what isn't?

And ones that were probably protected and regulated monopolies to begin with :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Obviously they should just be nationalizing them.

Josquius

I know nothing of the situation and just going off what Tamas said here but it seems to be a political party buying the company to use it to rig elections in its favour.
Perfect example of what too little regulation does
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on December 01, 2015, 11:57:34 AM
I know nothing of the situation and just going off what Tamas said here but it seems to be a political party buying the company to use it to rig elections in its favour.

What Tamas said was:

Quotethe government has started buying up the electricity providers.

Then he referenced later the impact of 'state ownership'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Lol, that's a result of too little regulation?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 01, 2015, 12:01:33 PM

Well I admit there probably should be laws against the central government buying local utilities.

Grey Fox

They are not the same things.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

Quote from: derspiess on December 01, 2015, 12:01:33 PM

Worse: capitalism.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 01, 2015, 12:02:41 PM

Could you clarify what you mean?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on December 01, 2015, 11:57:34 AM

Admit it - you're just trolling us at this point, right?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Habbaku on December 01, 2015, 12:08:50 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 01, 2015, 12:02:41 PM

Could you clarify what you mean?

Government regulation & government ownership are not the same things. One doesn't have to preclude the other.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.