News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Motherfucker!  Sciatica is back, and it's a bitch.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Dancing with the Star Wars 2012 - Darth Vader/Boba Fett: Smooth Criminal

Ani, are you ok? Are yo ok, Ani?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGZUc14Q6oA
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Clearly these jobs need to be militarized to protect the lives of the people working those dangerous professions.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

I'm thinking the roofers probably have the worst danger-to pay ratio.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 27, 2015, 05:13:35 PM
5% of Israelis are vegans.  Highest % in the world.

Makes sense. All non-animal products are kosher.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on November 28, 2015, 02:44:57 PM

Clearly these jobs need to be militarized to protect the lives of the people working those dangerous professions.

The History Channel saw this and is preparing three new shows.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 28, 2015, 02:58:40 PM

My money is on fishermen.

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2015, 08:03:49 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 28, 2015, 02:58:40 PM

My money is on fishermen.

I'm not so sure about that.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: katmai on November 28, 2015, 09:08:52 PM

You think Phillipinos working on factory boats make more than 1.85 times as much as roofers?

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2015, 09:16:02 PM
Quote from: katmai on November 28, 2015, 09:08:52 PM

You think Phillipinos working on factory boats make more than 1.85 times as much as roofers?
Sorry was thinking about the guys on boats catching, not the processing ships where I'd agree with the pay to danger ratio.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on November 28, 2015, 08:00:35 PM

Real Garbagemen of Alaska, coming soon!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 28, 2015, 11:08:59 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 28, 2015, 08:00:35 PM

Real Garbagemen of Alaska, coming soon!

About the only one that hasn't been made, at least 6 of those professions have had alaska based shows already :P

Tonitrus

You know...we make note of those "dangerous" jobs, but I wonder how the stats for those that are unemployed would compare.  Could being jobless be the most dangerous "job"?

Of course, I am assuming all of those deaths are on the job, or a result of job-related activities...not just dying while holding said job.  That would make my comparison rather hard to make work.  :P

Zanza

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 29, 2015, 12:15:57 AM
You know...we make note of those "dangerous" jobs, but I wonder how the stats for those that are unemployed would compare.  Could being jobless be the most dangerous "job"?

Of course, I am assuming all of those deaths are on the job, or a result of job-related activities...not just dying while holding said job.  That would make my comparison rather hard to make work.  :P
Unemployment leads to poverty and poverty is related to just about anything that makes life worth, be it drug abuse, mental or physical illness, diseases etc. and in general leads to a shorter life expectancy.

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 29, 2015, 12:15:57 AM

thanks, seeds
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.