News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

So the marvel universe. Somehow everything is in the same world. Always struck me as stupid but whatever.
Thinking though....mutants and super heroes....different things right? Yet...mutants are such a big deal. Big policy decisions on how to deal with them and all that.
Spiderman and the like? Sure he gets his detractors. ... but nobody ever bunches him in with the mutants.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on November 23, 2015, 12:21:07 PM
The reply will be along the lines of "they were cowards/no real Americans."

They were cowards, actually.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on November 24, 2015, 05:33:35 AM
No, again. They will eventually have to do it like their American peers, go bankrupt and thus get rid of their pension claims. This situation is not sustainable.

Does Krautistan have an equivalent of US Chapter 11?

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on November 24, 2015, 06:27:03 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 23, 2015, 12:21:07 PM
The reply will be along the lines of "they were cowards/no real Americans."

They were cowards, actually.

This reaction is why United Empire Loyalists make the better counter-example. 

Those folks *did* take up guns against the rebels in many cases - and ended up as refugees ... from America.  ;)

If that doesn't work, there is always the Underground Railway (Blacks fleeing vicious American slavery to Canada, land of freedom).  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on November 24, 2015, 06:31:13 PM
If that doesn't work, there is always the Underground Railway (Blacks fleeing vicious American slavery to Canada, land of freedom).  :D

...only to find out how friggin' cold it is up there.  Poor folks couldn't catch a break :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on November 24, 2015, 06:23:44 PM
So the marvel universe. Somehow everything is in the same world. Always struck me as stupid but whatever.
Thinking though....mutants and super heroes....different things right? Yet...mutants are such a big deal. Big policy decisions on how to deal with them and all that.
Spiderman and the like? Sure he gets his detractors. ... but nobody ever bunches him in with the mutants.

It's a topic in the Civil War comic arc. Following an incident with a small time superhero group that kills dozens of people, including many children, there's calls to register all superheroes and put them under government supervision to prevent further damages. Iron Man (I think he's defense minister at the time) is in favor of this, Captain America is against this, and it splits the superheroes into two camps. Meanwhile, the (surviving) mutants mostly stay out of it (they are already under constant surveillance IIRC?). The anti-registration side tries to rally them, but their response is mostly, "Well, now you know what it feels like." (If I recall correctly - been a while since I read that arc in its entirety; it was 100+ comics, including all tie ins).

I wonder how the movie will handle this.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Syt,

They just released first trailer and seems that the impetus is Captain America defending Bucky who is being pursued for his crimes as winter soldier.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Haven't watched the trailer, but sounds like they're tip-toe-ing around the theme behind the comic arc, then.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

I don't think the civil war arc really answers that mutants and superheroes are treat inconsistently and don't belong in the same universe.
It sucks to be a mutant. They get heavily picked on. So if you're a mutant with non visibly obvious powers and nice parents who don't out you right away then why not up and say "yeah, Im Foxman. I  was bitten by a radioactive fox when I was 16. Mutant? Nooooo not me"
██████
██████
██████

Syt

The main reason I could think of is that non-mutants generally have their power through technology and special training (Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Punisher, Daredevil etc.) or through experiments/accidents (Spiderman, Hulk, Captain America, Fantastic Four, etc.). (And then there's aliens like Thor, Thanos, Silver Surfer, or The Watcher.) Overall, they're relatively isolated, unique people that generally don't pass on their special-ness.

Mutants are born mutants, and will pass on their mutantness, so they constitute (esp. if you follow Magneto's train of thought) a new stage in human development that will propagate by itself and potentially become a contender for humanity.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Or, you know, Marvel doesn't care as long as customers don't?

jimmy olsen

Just watched the Captain America trailer. The action looks great, but to be a success the narrative has to present Cap's point of view as correct and Iron Man's as wrong. You know, the thing that the Comics completely failed to do. That trailer doesn't do anything to show me that they have corrected that fatal flaw in the adaption to film.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

The tie ins for the comics were more ambiguous (esp. Luke Cage and Black Panther), but the main series left little doubt that Iron Man was supposed to be morally right (though doing excessive things to achieve a positive goal), and Captain America going rogue and being morally wrong, blinded by his supposed idealism. (Though I disagree with the sentiment.)
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on November 25, 2015, 05:26:33 AM
The tie ins for the comics were more ambiguous (esp. Luke Cage and Black Panther), but the main series left little doubt that Iron Man was supposed to be morally right (though doing excessive things to achieve a positive goal), and Captain America going rogue and being morally wrong, blinded by his supposed idealism. (Though I disagree with the sentiment.)

Iron Man was throwing people into an extra-dimensional concentration camps and committing crimes against humanity like they were going out of style in the comics. It was obvious who was wrong and who was right, and the fact that the narrative presented them in the opposite way made it a completely incoherent mess.

Anyways, even assuming that they make Iron Man and his compatriots in the movie much more reasonable, if they present him as right and Captain America as wrong, it will still be a terrible mistake. Captain America is the moral center of the MCU. Without him as the rock, the whole thing falls apart. If you make him wrong, then in my view you permanently damage his character and the whole of the MCU.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Bavarian police is getting new protective clothing. The design has drawn some ... comparisons.

—Stephen Jay Gould