News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Liep on November 22, 2015, 09:31:09 AM
So the parliament just approved a law giving the police permission to detain foreigners for an unlimited time period without them having a right to go before a judge.

:unsure:

I think I might have read that wrong. Nope, but, ah! They're only allowed to detain the foreigners under certain conditions. Oh, those conditions are not specified? I'm sure that won't cause any problems.

:weep:

:huh: srsly?

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on November 22, 2015, 12:54:50 AM
You can just unfollow them so you never see anything of theirs unless they directly post it on your wall.

Like you do with me!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

A wall is something put up as a barrier, right?

Sometimes people then paint it with graffiti.

Am I getting the hang of what social media is? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

I just heard a Danish politician use the phrase "kartoffel, kartoffel" which means "potato, potato", except he said it with no difference in pronunciation. :huh:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

The well liked and famous DANISH POLITICS POLLS are back! This time for something as exciting as the EU judicial membership. Will we vote yes or continue to stay out side of EU's judicial system? What will a no mean? More baby rapists says the Yes-side, what will a yes mean? Loss of sovereignty says No-side whilst mumbling something unintelligible about how that's very important while the electorate thinks about who should win this season of dancing with the stars.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: lustindarkness on November 22, 2015, 08:25:31 AM
You do your duty as a civilized netizen, continue to fact check everything and correct them on their book of faces until they unfriend you.

I have a new favorite:

Apparently, refugees are either cowards, or victims of excessive gun control. (Possibly both.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

It's amazing how the whole little guy militia man thing persists in the US despite them having long since became the big scary empire.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on November 21, 2015, 05:51:29 PM
Just googled it.  "Intersex"?  First time I heard of this.

Super rare health issue.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on November 22, 2015, 01:25:58 PM
So the parliament just approved a law giving the police permission to detain foreigners for an unlimited time period without them having a right to go before a judge.

I think I might have read that wrong. Nope, but, ah! They're only allowed to detain the foreigners under certain conditions. Oh, those conditions are not specified? I'm sure that won't cause any problems.

Yeah, I want to hear more about this.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on November 23, 2015, 07:58:44 AM
It's amazing how the whole little guy militia man thing persists in the US despite them having long since became the big scary empire.

Nothing amazing at all about it. It is how big scary empires are made and maintained.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 23, 2015, 08:13:51 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 22, 2015, 01:25:58 PM

Yeah, I want to hear more about this.

One example is if the police asks a foreigner for id papers and the person refuses the police can then detain that person until papers are produced. If there are no papers though, there's no actual time limit before a judge has to rule on the case. It's because the politicians expect this to happen a lot when Sweden actually closes its borders or civil war breaks out in Sweden.

The problem is that the limits to this law are not defined, the politicians may have examples of what they call extreme cases that calls for this, but it's up to the police to use it.

The justice minister's response was: When it's used we will later try that case in court to see if it was used correct.

EDIT: A law professor actually says that it's the minister of justice who will give the police the authority to use this new law, it's at the discretion of the minister if he sees any given case as "an extreme situation".

Liep

I am thoroughly confused about this and find it quite disconcerting that on one side you have law professors yelling POLICE STATE! and on the other you have right wing politicians calmly saying: you're wrong, it's not so bad, we've got this.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Liep on November 23, 2015, 08:38:47 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 23, 2015, 08:13:51 AM
One example is if the police asks a foreigner for id papers and the person refuses the police can then detain that person until papers are produced. If there are no papers though, there's no actual time limit before a judge has to rule on the case. It's because the politicians expect this to happen a lot when Sweden actually closes its borders or civil war breaks out in Sweden.

They expect this to happen in the near future? :unsure:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

First step when Brain tries TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?