Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadBurgerMaker

Just a thing for you guys:

Okay so this works: http://www.cnet.com/news/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-70/

I got the little amp and all the necessary connectors  (aux cables and adapters and such) and hooked it up through a switch that I had that flips between speakers and headphones.  Instead of the bookshelf speakers, I used some 100W JVC satellite speakers I had sitting in a cabinet after replacing them with a Sony home theater system.  Hooked two of them (it was an older 5.1 system) directly up to the amp, then used a 3.5mm Y adapter to split from the switch to the JVC powered sub that was part of the old system.  Total cost was like $50 and sounds FANTASTIC.  It will, of course, cost more if you don't have any speakers sitting around, but...you know...just fyi if you're in the market for new computer audio. 

E: I bought the amp on Prime Now, which also works as advertised if you were curious.  2 hour delivery for free.

E2:  Oh one downside with how I have mine wired is the amp doesn't control the sub volume.  So I can turn the amp volume all the way down and still have ultra bass.   :P  It would all probably be better with an amp that can power or at least control a sub (another "out"), but the damn thing was $27 and a guy named Fred brought it to my door less than two hours after I clicked to order it.  I can't really complain.

Syt

Russian paper Izvestia ran a story publishing "a letter" from the US State Department to a gay rights activist, lauding him his protest against the Russian intervention in Ukraine and promising money.

The response from the U.S. embassy:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Archy

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on November 21, 2015, 07:42:59 AM
Russian paper Izvestia ran a story publishing "a letter" from the US State Department to a gay rights activist, lauding him his protest against the Russian intervention in Ukraine and promising money.

The response from the U.S. embassy:

Those stupid articles, they always get you.  :(

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Admiral Yi

What does the "I" stand for?

DGuller

Just googled it.  "Intersex"?  First time I heard of this.

Josquius

All these french flag profile photos.... Facebook has lost a lot of usability points
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Sister posts fake fax from Homeland Security on Facebook that terrorists bought large amounts of UPS uniforms.

Me: "Have you noticed that this is a hoax from 2003?"
She: "Maybe, but it still doesn't hurt to be more careful when opening the door in future!"

Meanwhile, her husband posted the old picture of Obama holding the book "The Post-American World" written by a "fellow Muslim" and commenting without first checking what the book is about.

What's the netiquette for unfriending close family members? I'm getting tired of their regurgitating false news and racist bullshit.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

You can just unfollow them so you never see anything of theirs unless they directly post it on your wall.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Yeah, I know, but I still see their posts under "Family" where I check if there's anything happening that I *should* know.

Also, I don't let anyone post anything to my wall.
—Stephen Jay Gould

lustindarkness

Quote from: Syt on November 22, 2015, 12:53:34 AM
Sister posts fake fax from Homeland Security on Facebook that terrorists bought large amounts of UPS uniforms.

Me: "Have you noticed that this is a hoax from 2003?"
She: "Maybe, but it still doesn't hurt to be more careful when opening the door in future!"

Meanwhile, her husband posted the old picture of Obama holding the book "The Post-American World" written by a "fellow Muslim" and commenting without first checking what the book is about.

What's the netiquette for unfriending close family members? I'm getting tired of their regurgitating false news and racist bullshit.

You do your duty as a civilized netizen, continue to fact check everything and correct them on their book of faces until they unfriend you.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Liep

So the parliament just approved a law giving the police permission to detain foreigners for an unlimited time period without them having a right to go before a judge.

:unsure:

I think I might have read that wrong. Nope, but, ah! They're only allowed to detain the foreigners under certain conditions. Oh, those conditions are not specified? I'm sure that won't cause any problems.

:weep:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk