News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Maybe if they were a little more polite, a little less angry.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2015, 06:01:57 PM
Maybe if they were a little more polite, a little less angry.

I didn't see anything impolite in the letters Jacob posted.  And I'm Canadian  :P

garbon

I was writing about the actions that Malthus described. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Sheesh.  Take it to an on-topic thread.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 10, 2015, 05:58:52 PM
Not taking some sort of action is preferable?

Possibly.  It would be one thing if there is violence, but the horror story of overhearing a racial slur used by a drunk of the phone is not a compelling reason to fire the President of the University.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on November 10, 2015, 06:57:59 PM
Sheesh.  Take it to an on-topic thread.

I am angry at the young people.

I also had a fabulous nap.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2015, 05:33:07 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 10, 2015, 05:13:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2015, 05:08:03 PM
I don't think he was saying anything. He was showing us that America has a race problem and how the problems at Missouri are reflective of that. And only blind and deaf people who live in caves on mars are not aware of that and how ugly it is. We have only four hundred years of history on our shoulders.

Well, I wouldn't mind hearing how that 400 year history (let alone a bunch of public assholishness on the part of random racists)  is going to be corrected with the football team not playing, a hunger strike, or forcing the university president to resign. Because right now, that looks like foolishness to this total outsider.  ;)

To be honest, I'm not sure what sort of transformative action we are expecting these young people to undertake.

If I knew I wouldn't be sitting here posting on Languish.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Sadly, no mention of lasers.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34772089

QuoteIndonesia drugs: Crocodiles 'to guard death row prisons'
The head of Indonesia's anti-drugs agency has proposed building a prison island guarded by crocodiles to house death-row drug convicts.

Budi Waseso said crocodiles often made better guards than humans - because they could not be bribed.

He said he would visit different parts of the Indonesian archipelago in order to find the fiercest reptiles.

Indonesia has some of the toughest drug laws in the world and ended a four-year moratorium on executions in 2013.

"We will place as many crocodiles as we can there," Mr Waseso was quoted as saying by local news website Tempo.

"You can't bribe crocodiles. You can't convince them to let inmates escape."

The plan is still in the early stages, and neither the location nor the potential opening date of the jail have been decided, the AFP news agency reports.

Liep

I feel the lasers are implied.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on November 11, 2015, 08:04:49 AM
Budi Waseso said crocodiles often made better guards than humans - because they could not be bribed.

Not true, you just have a shorter window of opportunity.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 10, 2015, 05:58:52 PM
Not taking some sort of action is preferable?

Hell, why aren't we sacking university presidents and engaging in hunger strikes over global warming, or the war in Syria?  :hmm: That'll show 'em. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on November 10, 2015, 12:44:29 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 10, 2015, 08:29:22 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 10, 2015, 07:59:57 AM
Has anyone ever been genetically tested?
This 23 and me thing does seem cool.... but so expensive- especially considering their main profit is in the database they're building.
Just wait a year and it will be a lot cheaper.
Same is true for a lot of things though. :p
Hope there is a significant drop in this case. I'm not sure.
Ten years ago it coat a million to do. Twenty years ago it cost a billion. The price is plummeting by orders of magnitude.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2015, 01:47:11 PM
Three thoughts on the cop thing:

1st if speech is considered violence and aggression then of course you need the cops to regulate it since preventing those sorts of things is their job. What a wonderful slippery slope that will be.

2nd This is a pretty moderate response on the surface. There will be no criminal activity but if you want to be a student there don't go around shouting racial slurs at other students.

3rd This seems abusable as hell given how touchy some people are.

I am sympathetic with the students of Missouri given the racial slurs and shit swastikas.

It's the students at Yale that I find utterly unsympathetic, amd that's as someone who had gone pretty far left over the last ten years, from moderate Republican to Sanders voter. They just seem to be a completely authoritarian movement that cannot tolerate dissenting speech and is willing to  use violence to quash it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

On the other hand -- the cops just hauled in three dudes whose plan was, allegedly, the start a "race war" targeting Blacks and Jews. 

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/10/us/white-supremacist-bomb-plot-virginia-fbi/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Maybe they really didn't like The Candy Man.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?