Oh so he is still hiring? Good.

You guys are doing a remarkably bad job entertaining me today  :mad:

yeah talked to him last night.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DGuller

It's good that he's not dead.  But he left Languish, so he's dead to me.  :mad:

Valmy

Maybe he will be back!  :cool:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on August 12, 2015, 09:16:06 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2015, 05:31:47 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 11, 2015, 04:51:18 PM

What's her point? :unsure:

"Your question is a class-based microaggression".

But it's a really dumb point, because often even really poor people have been to Europe.

Sometimes even people with five, six hundred dollar strollers.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

That was a microagression against Malthus.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: Brazen on August 12, 2015, 07:59:11 AM
Spicy's photos illustrate "microaggressions" which is a thing. The first is a race microaggression (like no, where are you REALLY from) and the second a class microaggression. The sort of stuff that fuels Languish, really.

http://www.microaggressions.com/

B, it's not that we've been living under a rock and are unfamiliar with the term "micro-aggressions".  It's just that I at least don't think it's at all a useful concept.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

It is a useful concept for studying society I think. How biases are expressed subconsciously.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2015, 12:42:37 PM
It is a useful concept for studying society I think. How biases are expressed subconsciously.

Analyzing subconscious biases is useful, I agree.  And there are some biases at work in some of the questions (e.g. Where are you from really).

But what gets me is taking offence at questions that are clearly coming from an honest lack of knowledge.  Take the "where are you from" questions - knowing how people relate, where they come from (in all sense of the word) is an important part of how humans relate to each other.  So instead of taking offence, take it as a chance to explain and describe yourself (e.g. No, really, I'm born and raised in Toledo.  My grandparents came from Myanmar however.  So what's your heritage?).

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2015, 12:50:22 PM
But what gets me is taking offence at questions that are clearly coming from an honest lack of knowledge.  Take the "where are you from" questions - knowing how people relate, where they come from (in all sense of the word) is an important part of how humans relate to each other.  So instead of taking offence, take it as a chance to explain and describe yourself (e.g. No, really, I'm born and raised in Toledo.  My grandparents came from Myanmar however.  So what's your heritage?).

This I agree with. But what makes it bad is when asking a question like this gets you labelled a monster. Then the mob forms.

lustindarkness

Analyzing subconscious biases is useful, I agree.  And there are some biases at work in some of the questions (e.g. Where are you from really).

I had no idea you were from Toledo.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 12, 2015, 12:57:58 PM

I had no idea you were from Toledo.

You never asked. :cry:

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on August 12, 2015, 12:17:32 PM
Sometimes even people with five, six hundred dollar strollers.

Well, there's poor, and then there's destitute;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

The wonderful thing about micro-aggressions is that you can always find them if you want to.

Take the "have you been to Europe" question. If you asked other people that question, but deliberately refrained from asking little miss poverty, is that "considerate" (because poor people never travel, evidently), or is it really a "micro-aggression" (because you are assuming without asking that poors never travel, and so would be embarrased by the question)?   

Ask or don't ask, either could be an offensive display of assumptions!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius