News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Have you ever switched jobs and started working for a direct competitor of your employer?

Syt

A) No.
B) Does your contract have a non-compete clause after termination?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Spicy's photos illustrate "microaggressions" which is a thing. The first is a race microaggression (like no, where are you REALLY from) and the second a class microaggression. The sort of stuff that fuels Languish, really.

http://www.microaggressions.com/

Valmy

Oh.

Huh. I remember reading an article about crime in sociology that said that society needs to define certain behaviors as deviant for social cohesion. So if a society becomes less violent, for example, they have to expand the definition of criminality to make sure they can continue to hammer down deviants.

I guess in a society where people are more careful to be respectful they have to expand the definition of what is considered offensive so deviants can continue to be persecuted. How interesting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: katmai on August 11, 2015, 11:16:21 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 11, 2015, 09:10:22 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2015, 05:35:54 PM
Derspeiss doesn't like it when women complain in a snarky way.  Complains about it in a snarky way.

WHERE IS JACOB.  Probably in Europe.

I've checked the facebook and web pages of Jacob's start-up.  They haven't been updated in like a year.  I can only assume the worst.  He also has a mortgage and a baby, so these are probably stressful times for him.

He's looking to hire a QA lead so not doing that bad.

:hmm:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Oh so he is still hiring? Good.

You guys are doing a remarkably bad job entertaining me today  :mad:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2015, 05:31:47 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 11, 2015, 04:51:18 PM

What's her point? :unsure:

"Your question is a class-based microaggression".

But it's a really dumb point, because often even really poor people have been to Europe. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Calling herself poor triggers my trauma from that time my card did not go through at that restaurant. I am not sure I can recover from this experience of violence.

lustindarkness

Yo soy poor and yo have been to Europa.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

La révolution est en cours! Êtes-vous prêts?

QuoteThe French are a proud bunch, especially when it comes to their mother tongue. So it must have been hard for them to take a backseat and watch English become the lingua franca of the 21st century.

But revenge could be on the horizon: The language beloved by Parisian poets, Russian aristocrats and pretentious grad students is set to reclaim its title when it becomes the world's most commonly spoken language by the year 2050, according to a study by Natixis, an investment bank.

French is currently ranked sixth among world languages, after Mandarin Chinese, English, Spanish, Hindi and Arabic. But it is gaining speakers quickly and, the study reports, will be spoken by 750 million in 2050, up from 220 million today.

A demographic boom in these African states could bump the world's percentage of French speakers from 3 percent to 8 percent by 2050.

C'est possible? English enjoys an indisputable global popularity, and Mandarin has long been touted as the language of the future, given the size of China's population and its growing economic power, but French has a demographic ace up its sleeve: French-speaking populations are growing faster than English- and Mandarin-speaking ones.

Meanwhile, China and many English-speaking countries are likely to experience a demographic slowdown, which could lead to an expected decline in the number of English speakers — from 8 percent to 3 percent of the world's population. For Mandarin, a drop from 10 percent to 8 percent is anticipated.

http://www.ozy.com/acumen/french-lingua-franca/31780?utm_source=NH&utm_medium=pp&utm_campaign=pp

The part that indicates this article is all nonsense carefully not quoted :P

lustindarkness

Hypothetical, how many nukes would it take to sink the whole middle east into the new Middle East Crater Sea?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

katmai

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 12, 2015, 08:34:14 AM
Quote from: katmai on August 11, 2015, 11:16:21 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 11, 2015, 09:10:22 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2015, 05:35:54 PM
Derspeiss doesn't like it when women complain in a snarky way.  Complains about it in a snarky way.

WHERE IS JACOB.  Probably in Europe.

I've checked the facebook and web pages of Jacob's start-up.  They haven't been updated in like a year.  I can only assume the worst.  He also has a mortgage and a baby, so these are probably stressful times for him.

He's looking to hire a QA lead so not doing that bad.

:hmm:
YOur ass wouldn't move so why would I have told you.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son