Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

MadImmortalMan

His name's Brian Warner though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

According to a review I just read in the NYT, 26% of college applicants said they hired a "private admissions counselor" in 2013.

That blows my mind.

Ed Anger

Something I ate has triggered a massive gallbladder attack. I is miserable.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Blood in my puke. I'm off.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Camerus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2015, 06:39:29 PM
According to a review I just read in the NYT, 26% of college applicants said they hired a "private admissions counselor" in 2013.

That blows my mind.

If anything, I'd expect that 26% figure to rise considerably in the coming years.  Also, they will be going to university alongside hordes of Chinese students, 99% of whom when applying to US universities have (very rationally) done the very same thing. 

Ideologue

That blows my mind.

Maybe I could do that.  Steer some poor idiots away from the liberal arts, and into voc programs.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on June 21, 2015, 08:59:15 PM

That blows my mind.

Maybe I could do that.  Steer some poor idiots away from the liberal arts, and into voc programs.
:yes: Liberal arts should be only for idiots that are rich enough to not need to work for a living.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 21, 2015, 08:04:33 PM
Blood in my puke. I'm off.

Normandy food is spicier than I thought.  :hmm:

Brazen

Received this email today. Pretty horrible reports if true, but weird that PETA are involved. Oh, and it really was addressed to XXX:

QuoteDear XXX,

Following The Times' preliminary coverage today of the trial of John Hagmann, the doctor who has made millions in federal contracts training military medics, I'm delighted to report to you that the Virginia Medical Board have unanimously terminated Hagmann's medical license. Hagmann was accused in a medical board report of injecting his student with ketamine and carrying out a series of sexually intimate examinations during training sessions at the Pengethley Manor hotel, near Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, which he owns.

At the trial today one witness – an active duty captain in the U.S. military – described how students were provided with alcohol, morphine and fentanyl, before apparently consenting to have holes drilled into their shins and catheters inserted into their genitals at the idyllic retreat in the British countryside.

PETA U.K. has filed a complaint with the General Medical Council and is making a formal enquiry of the Ministry of Defence about whether it knew of the long standing allegations of sexual misconduct, animal abuse, and more, concerning Hagmann, and whether Hagmann or his company, Deployment Medicine International, received any U.K. government funds or contracts.

PETA U.S. first uncovered the sexual abuse allegations against Hagmann and soon after released its own disturbing video investigation of Hagmann's course.

I thought you might like to report on what is alleged to have taken place at the Pengethley Manor hotel, the likes of which U.S. Congressman Hank Johnson described today as "like a diabolical mad scientist at work in a horror movie".

Here are some Trip Advisor comments from hotel patrons complaining/commenting about the behavior of military personnel at the hotel:
·         We were in a room at the rear of the Main House and were kept awake from midnight to 3am by loud, foul-mouthed staff sitting in the decking area outside the bar discussing their lifetime experiences from relationships to war stories from the Congo to Iraq. My complaint to the Duty Manager in the morning was met with an 'apology' & a warning that nought would happen as the Manager/Owner was a participant? Avoid this establishment unless you enjoy insomnia.[source]

·         "We were told the hotel belongs to a medical organization and is partly used for training courses during the week." [source]

·         The courtyard that houses the 'outdoor' rooms is now overtaken by 'Exmed', the company that has purchased the hotel where they have an education centre, training facilities and simulation areas for recruitment for medics for foreign places such as Afghanistan...the courtyard was always heaving with traffic; delivery vans and visitors to the 'education centre [source]

Thank you for your time and consideration. Do let me know if you would like any more information.

Regards,

Senior International Media Director | PETA

Tonitrus

From my brief Google check, PETA is probably involved because he is probably involved in those battlefield medicine training that uses animals as training aids.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Duque de Bragança