And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

He was from Austin before being from Austin was cool :weep:

RIP
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Speaking to some random Romanians they all agreed that French is hard even for them.
I really have to question the british government- what the hell are they playing at making that the first language most people learn at schools? This could be a key source of Britain not being very good at languages....
A secondary reason to English being the truly necessary language but still a bit of a reason.
I should start a real campaign for Dutch or Swedish learning in the uk. But you know. Lazy.

Quote from: Liep on June 12, 2015, 03:39:29 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 11, 2015, 11:54:27 PM
So apparently Romania has a  16 pence note.
:hmm:

Sounds a little low, but reasonable. The lowest note should only just be able to get you a cup of coffee otherwise you end up with a too heavy wallet.
Coffee maybe. But paying for a packet of crisps with a note just feels wrong.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

France is the UK's neighbor? French can be hard because of its weird spelling rules, it is very hard for French people to have any mastery at it from a literary standpoint. But to just be good enough to understand, read it, and speak it? Even I could do it and I am an American, the worst foreign language country in the world.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on June 12, 2015, 08:53:43 AM
Coffee maybe. But paying for a packet of crisps with a note just feels wrong.

I pay for everything with a slip of plastic.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

I went to see Reel Big Fish and Less than Jake last night.  Awesome show.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Brazen

When I went out at lunchtime, there was a man with very prominent breasts and a beard outside the station. He then proceeded to fondle said breasts with a look of intense pleasure on his face. I couldn't help think of that old joke, "If I woke up with breasts I'd never leave the house again".

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2015, 09:03:26 AM
I went to see Reel Big Fish and Less than Jake last night.  Awesome show.

:mad:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Brazen on June 12, 2015, 09:05:52 AM
When I went out at lunchtime, there was a man with very prominent breasts and a beard outside the station. He then proceeded to fondle said breasts with a look of intense pleasure on his face. I couldn't help think of that old joke, "If I woke up with breasts I'd never leave the house again".

Maybe it was a woman who woke up with a beard.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Used to see them every couple of years.  I think this was the first time in 8 years I had seen RBF.  Probably hadn't seen Less than Jake since 2002 or so.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Quote from: Brazen on June 12, 2015, 09:05:52 AM

I can say I have never had that happen to me in Alabama. To begin with, I never have time to go out to lunch.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

A woman would not be so tacky as to fondle her boobs outside of a station.

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2015, 09:13:50 AM
Used to see them every couple of years.  I think this was the first time in 8 years I had seen RBF.  Probably hadn't seen Less than Jake since 2002 or so.

Haven't seen RBF in atleast a decade.

LTJ was a Warped Tour, can't remember wich. I remember falling in the circle pit & standing up covered in dust.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2015, 09:00:22 AM
France is the UK's neighbor? French can be hard because of its weird spelling rules, it is very hard for French people to have any mastery at it from a literary standpoint. But to just be good enough to understand, read it, and speak it? Even I could do it and I am an American, the worst foreign language country in the world.

As if even weirder spelling rules in English stopped anybody from learning it.  :lol:
Very hard to master it at any level even for French people from a literary standpoint? Still, much easier for them than for non-natives.
Well, if true that would be because of the trendy race to the bottom initiated by mostly left-wing governments in the misguided attempt to fight against inequalities, though it seems the Éducation Nationale bureaucracy acts pretty much on his own, even when under a right-wing government.
Concordance des temps, namely passé simple and imparfait du subjonctif (the latter mainly literary nowadays) are used on a day-to-day basis by other Romance-speaking people in their languages so it's not that hard as a concept to grasp.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2015, 09:14:32 AM
A woman would not be so tacky as to fondle her boobs outside of a station.

But if she did, we should applaud her for being empowered as a woman and embracing her sexuality or something.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2015, 09:36:03 AM
But if she did, we should applaud her for being empowered as a woman and embracing her sexuality or something.

Well of course we should you Taliban-esque prude.