News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

Quote from: Syt on May 14, 2015, 07:06:48 AM
Lettow, I believe you're into history? Consider a trip to the Schatzkammer which houses the crown jewels of the Holy Roman Empire and the Habsburgs. Military museum is ok, but not too spectacular. Walking around the Inner City is nice. You could also go to Kapuzinergruft, where the Habsburg emperors are buried. The Kunsthistorisches Museum is nice, but you might spend half a day there between paintings, sculptures and ancient artifacts. Not the Louvre, but decent.

When are you guys flying in? I need to check my schedule.

Thanks for your help, and MiM also! I imagine we'll be there tomorrow, or the day after. I think the Schatzkammer sounds very interesting.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Barrister

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 14, 2015, 04:41:20 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 14, 2015, 07:06:48 AM
Lettow, I believe you're into history? Consider a trip to the Schatzkammer which houses the crown jewels of the Holy Roman Empire and the Habsburgs. Military museum is ok, but not too spectacular. Walking around the Inner City is nice. You could also go to Kapuzinergruft, where the Habsburg emperors are buried. The Kunsthistorisches Museum is nice, but you might spend half a day there between paintings, sculptures and ancient artifacts. Not the Louvre, but decent.

When are you guys flying in? I need to check my schedule.

Thanks for your help, and MiM also! I imagine we'll be there tomorrow, or the day after. I think the Schatzkammer sounds very interesting.

Schatzkammer was interesting, but the Kunsthistorisches was where it was at for pure history nerd nirvana.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 14, 2015, 03:29:41 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2015, 10:41:11 AM
I'll send you some of our neighborhood coyotes.  They ought to help with any rabbit problem.

You know, I don't remember the coyotes being such a problem when I was a kid. My father in law keeps a rifle by the back door now because they keep showing up.

I don't remember coyotes being in Ohio (or WV) at all when I was a kid.  They're not native to Ohio, and spread east of the Mississippi because there were no longer wolves out West keeping them in check.  At least that's what I read.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 14, 2015, 09:00:43 AM
My kids plot in French, which I still don't understand. Or that weird twin telepathy.
How'd they learn? Just picked up while in country?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

I enlisted them in the Young Guard.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on May 14, 2015, 04:42:37 PM
Schatzkammer was interesting, but the Kunsthistorisches was where it was at for pure history nerd nirvana.

Did you see the exhibit downstairs about the temple of Artemis? That was cool. I wanted to start setting up division counters all over the scale model of Ephesus.   :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 14, 2015, 04:41:20 PM

Ouch, that's a bit of short notice. I'll be pretty busy this weekend. For how long will you be in Vienna?

MiM, I think the Artemis Temple diorama is in the Hofburg (where they keep the suits of armor), not KHM. Duque and I were in Hofburg early one morning, all by ourselves. It was a bit eerie to be alone in that huge hall. For a while we weren't sure if we were supposed to be there or if we had strayed from the path. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lettow77

I suppose a couple to a few days- there is certainly no itinerary. It's quite understandable if you are busy on such absurd notice. I was initially reluctant to come to Vienna, but Munich has caused me to re-assess my opinion of Germanic law and order and its capacity to reign in the excesses of the various unfortunate elements that are inevitable in large European cities.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Syt

In that case don't visit 10th, 15th or 16th district with its high immigration numbers. (1/2 of the people in Vienna are immigrants or the children of immigrants ;) )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Syt on May 15, 2015, 02:31:55 AM

MiM, I think the Artemis Temple diorama is in the Hofburg (where they keep the suits of armor), not KHM.

Well then I stand corrected. Go to the Hofburg, but don't spend any time in the china cabinet.  :)

Oh, and I was paying thirty euros a pop for the museum because there were two of us. Not per person. Fifteen per person is more like it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

There are some special tickets that give you a rebate to visit several museums. Best to check the webpage of the museums you're interested in (I think there's a combo ticket for Hofburg, KHM and Schatzkammer, for example).
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 15, 2015, 03:19:40 AM
Oh, and I was paying thirty euros a pop for the museum because there were two of us. Not per person. Fifteen per person is more like it.

Ah, okay. I was like did they manage to hoodwink MIM? :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

AC/DC have set a new record for the largest concert ever held in Austria: 115,000 people in attendance.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

Israel's new justice minister is kinda hawt

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Raz makes another step in the inexorable journey toward employment!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017