And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2015, 09:06:15 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 14, 2015, 09:00:43 AM
My kids plot in French, which I still don't understand. Or that weird twin telepathy.

All 16 of them can speak French?  That rocks.

16? Old news. Now at 25.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2015, 09:05:31 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 14, 2015, 09:00:43 AM
My kids plot in French, which I still don't understand. Or that weird twin telepathy.

Or is it like that weird language twins invent and use?  My dad's brothers apparently did that.

The older set have generally dropped the invented bullshit. The younger set, well, they are just WEIRD.

lustindarkness

My kids understand spanish, just don't want to speak it.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 14, 2015, 09:19:00 AM

Let them know if they do it will vastly increase their employment possibilities. I know that really motivates kids.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2015, 09:20:11 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on May 14, 2015, 09:19:00 AM

Let them know if they do it will vastly increase their employment possibilities. I know that really motivates kids.

Ha! They've been told, multiple times. It's just hard for us to force ourselves to talk to them in spanish, don't give them an option other than learning the language.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ed Anger

ROLL TIDE sounds funny in Spanish.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2015, 09:07:20 AM
When they can easily ace those Spanish language classes amiright?

Knowing my kids they'll get in knock-down drag-out fights with their Spanish teachers over minute differences between the Spanish being taught and the Rioplatense Spanish they know.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 14, 2015, 09:32:06 AM
ROLL TIDE sounds funny in Spanish.

I've heard a dude with an Indian accent say it.  Good times.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

So I have never actually dug out a proper garden, but I do have a whole bunch of planters going on a table on my deck.

I go to make coffee this morning, and I see a Canada goose standing in the middle of all my plants, maybe 15 feet away from the window.

All the boys are excited to go see the goose.

All I can think of, however, is "that fucking goose is standing on my oregano!" :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

So, you having goose for dinner then?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

KRonn

Quote from: Barrister on May 14, 2015, 10:11:09 AM
So I have never actually dug out a proper garden, but I do have a whole bunch of planters going on a table on my deck.

I go to make coffee this morning, and I see a Canada goose standing in the middle of all my plants, maybe 15 feet away from the window.

All the boys are excited to go see the goose.

All I can think of, however, is "that fucking goose is standing on my oregano!" :mad:
I see rabbits roaming around outside my garden fence.   :mad:  I don't think they can get in, and this one was feasting on some tall grass. I'll have to put down some smelly stuff that scares away wabbits. 

derspiess

I'll send you some of our neighborhood coyotes.  They ought to help with any rabbit problem.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2015, 10:41:11 AM
I'll send you some of our neighborhood coyotes.  They ought to help with any rabbit problem.

You know, I don't remember the coyotes being such a problem when I was a kid. My father in law keeps a rifle by the back door now because they keep showing up.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 14, 2015, 03:29:41 PM

You know, I don't remember the coyotes being such a problem when I was a kid. My father in law keeps a rifle by the back door now because they keep showing up.

In Ontario, and I presume elsewhere, deer are becomming a serious problem. I remember when it was rare to see one - now they are everywhere.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on May 14, 2015, 03:36:52 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 14, 2015, 03:29:41 PM

In Ontario, and I presume elsewhere, deer are becomming a serious problem. I remember when it was rare to see one - now they are everywhere.

Less hunting / trapping, more greenspaces.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.