And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 05, 2015, 09:54:40 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2015, 09:54:02 AM
It's a suckful name.  Too old fashioned.
Princess Madison or Princess Kayla more to your liking? :)

No shit Yi. "New" names are for white trash.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2015, 10:03:33 AM
No shit Yi. "New" names are for white trash.

False dichotomy. :contract:

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2015, 09:54:02 AM
It's a suckful name.  Too old fashioned.

"Princess Ashley Madison" has a nice ring to it.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on May 05, 2015, 09:53:34 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 05, 2015, 09:52:47 AM
You can already post mystifying gibberish all you want.  :huh:
My boy Syt would get it at least. :hmm:

He does.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2015, 10:01:06 AM

Bella.  :D

:bleeding:

I have to walk through the Kindergarten classroom to take my daughter to her pre-school class.  Apparently the Kindergarten has like 3 or 4 Bellas in it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on May 05, 2015, 09:13:25 AM
Also: The White War: Life and Death on the Italian Front 1915-1919

One of my friends I went camping with a couple weeks ago is something of an expert on that front, or at least he's enthusiastic about it.  He was telling me how each side would aim artillery above each other's positions and that several thousands of troops are still buried under the snow "with all their gear" (he's also a huge collector).  I honestly never paid much attention to that front except for Rommel's exploits.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

15% of my kids daycare are little boys named Olivier.

Charlotte is a proper Royal name. Yi be damned.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I'm betting there'll be many a Khaleesi, Arya, Sansa, or Daenerys in a few years.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Arya was ranked #277 in 2013. None of those others have cracked the top 1000.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2015, 10:01:06 AM

Bella.  :D
I also wonder if you're forgetting that the monarchy itself is an old fashioned institution. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on May 05, 2015, 10:23:49 AM
I'm betting there'll be many a Khaleesi, Arya, Sansa, or Daenerys in a few years.

Martin has a section at his website where he puts pics of kids (and pets) named after his characters.  ;)

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/for-fans/from-fans/from-fans-archive/

A couple of friends of mine named their newborn Bran back in january.

Malthus

I would haver thought there were also multiple Elsas out there - from "Frozen".

Though maybe that risks a visit from Disney's copyright lawyers.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: The Larch on May 05, 2015, 10:32:32 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 05, 2015, 10:23:49 AM

Martin has a section at his website where he puts pics of kids (and pets) named after his characters.  ;)

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/for-fans/from-fans/from-fans-archive/

A couple of friends of mine named their newborn Bran back in january.

Do devotees of this type of literature tend to procreate a lot?