News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

The reason there aren't shows about accounting is because Joe Sixpack has no idea what an accountant does.  Most people at least understand that lawyers go into courtrooms and there's a lot of dramatic shouting and cases are typically resolved in 30 minutes - commercial breaks.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on March 31, 2015, 01:40:59 PM
The reason there aren't shows about accounting is because Joe Sixpack has no idea what an accountant does.  Most people at least understand that lawyers go into courtrooms and there's a lot of dramatic shouting and cases are typically resolved in 30 minutes - commercial breaks.

The real reason is that watching someone type numbers into a spreadsheet is not that entertaining.

Caliga

What about if they wear a green visor?

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2015, 01:38:53 PM
How many TV shows are set in accounting firms?  How many blockbuster movies are there about audits?
I suspect this argument is somewhat circular.

Malthus

The reason there aren't shows about accounting is because Joe Sixpack has no idea what an accountant does. 

Sure they do.

He's the elderly, miserable bastard sitting in an uncomfortable chair, wearing a green eyeshade, and writing figures in a huge ledger.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

The funny thing about that stereotype is that the majority of accountants I work with are young, attractive females. :)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on March 31, 2015, 01:43:42 PM
I suspect this argument is somewhat circular.

Please elaborate.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on March 31, 2015, 01:45:01 PM
The funny thing about that stereotype is that the majority of accountants I work with are young, attractive females. :)

Now see this could be a show.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Dammit Jim, our recent analysis shows that our overhead multiplier factor is out by .01.   

Bones, I was afraid of that.  Quick, do a full inventory recount and recheck the numbers.

Who wouldn't love that kind of drama?

Malthus

It's the sitting in an uncomfortable chair, wearing a green eyeshade, and writing in a huge ledger that ages them prematurely and changes their sex.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2015, 01:45:21 PM
Please elaborate.
Is there more sex appeal because there are more TV shows, or are there more TV shows because there is more sex appeal? Or both?

Caliga

Anyway, accounting can be quite dramatic.

"Johnson, we report out to the street tomorrow morning BUT I'VE JUST DISCOVERED THAT INTERCOMPANY ACCOUNT 2791 IS OUT OF BALANCE BY ALMOST SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS!  Figure out where the discrepancy lies or you're fired!"

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 31, 2015, 01:46:13 PM
Dammit Jim, our recent analysis shows that our overhead multiplier factor is out by .01.   

Bones, I was afraid of that.  Quick, do a full inventory recount and recheck the numbers.

Who wouldn't love that kind of drama?
Great minds. :hug:

derspiess

Then they're bookkeepers, not accountants.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall