And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on March 10, 2015, 09:02:44 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 10, 2015, 08:48:52 AM
I think buzzfeed lied about this being hard.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/the-hardest-name-that-country-quiz-youll-take-today

Well, I'm probably not going to take another Name That Country quiz today, so technically they'll be correct. :P

Well, I took this other one earlier http://www.triviaplaza.com/world-countries-1-quiz/ and I can affirm it was even easier, so indeed it was the hardest Name That Country quiz I took today.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on March 10, 2015, 08:41:59 AM
I guess it's two factors:
- relatively easy rules
- you can play it almost anywhere and with anything, even if you only mark the goals with bricks on either side and use an empty can for a ball

It makes sense for Africa & Latin America, but Europe has plenty of money to spend on equipment for more interesting sports. /shrug
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 10, 2015, 09:36:49 AM
- relatively easy rules
- you can play it almost anywhere and with anything, even if you only mark the goals with bricks on either side and use an empty can for a ball

It makes sense for Africa & Latin America, but Europe has plenty of money to spend on equipment for more interesting sports. /shrug

But it didn't when football was established as the most popular sport.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: Liep on March 10, 2015, 09:37:42 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 10, 2015, 09:36:49 AM
- relatively easy rules

But it didn't when football was established as the most popular sport.

Those things can evolve, though. In the early 20th Century, baseball ruled supreme in the U.S.

However, I can say it's a lot easier to play a quick game of football with a tennis ball or similar with a bench as goal in a 10 minute recess at school than most other sports.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on March 10, 2015, 09:39:50 AM
However, I can say it's a lot easier to play a quick game of football with a tennis ball or similar with a bench as goal in a 10 minute recess at school than most other sports.

Well if you are going to be that loose with the gear you can pretty much do this with any sport.  We played American football virtually every day in recess.  Just need a ball.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

When I was a kid we weren't allowed balls during recess, so we played football with a plastic bottle and our backpacks marking the goalposts. You can always play football. Anytime, anywhere.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on March 10, 2015, 08:48:52 AM
I think buzzfeed lied about this being hard.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/the-hardest-name-that-country-quiz-youll-take-today

Yeah.  The only one I even paused on was Paraguay vs Uruguay.

There was one two others I might have gotten wrong (Turkmenistan, Mali) except of the two options it was obvious which one it was.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Mauritania is the country where arabs are racist towards black people.  That usually helps remembering the location.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on March 10, 2015, 09:46:06 AM
When I was a kid we weren't allowed balls during recess, so we played football with a plastic bottle and our backpacks marking the goalposts. You can always play football. Anytime, anywhere.
You weren't allowed balls? That's just cruel. I mean, we got our leather ball banned when someone hit someone in the head (that wasn't playing), but we got a plastic ball instead.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on March 10, 2015, 09:48:28 AM
Mauritania is the country where arabs are racist towards black people.  That usually helps remembering the location.

:huh:
Arabs are racist towards black people everywhere.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on March 10, 2015, 09:49:01 AM
You weren't allowed balls? That's just cruel. I mean, we got our leather ball banned when someone hit someone in the head (that wasn't playing), but we got a plastic ball instead.

Teachers were afraid we would break something. There were lots of glass windows facing the playground.

Syt

The school invested in soft foam balls at one point, but they were falling apart after a week of use to the point they looked like under construction Death Stars. Made ball handling and aiming shots pretty tricky.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on March 10, 2015, 09:55:12 AM

The school invested in soft foam balls at one point, but they were falling apart after a week of use to the point they looked like under construction Death Stars. Made ball handling and aiming shots pretty tricky.

They tried that too, but the balls had zero weight to them and it was frustrating trying to direct the shot, plus they lasted like a week.

Once a week they allowed us to go to the beach during recess, we were allowed balls then. That was the time we would sneak to the liquor store to buy gin though.  :blush:

Liep

Yeah, we tried the foam balls too, but it rains too much in Denmark and being hit in the face by a soaked ball is not so funny.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 10, 2015, 08:39:42 AM
I so do not get the complete world love for Soccer.

You would think a sport so mind-numbingly boring and sleep-inducing would have much less violence attached to it.  Or is fan violence related to it because they're just bored?