And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 05, 2015, 01:43:47 PM
It is inevitable.

Netflix sees is non-US business as practically gifting their service unto us, savages.

Netflix will soon be empty of content in Canada with the launch of Shomi & CraveTV. RoBellUS will not share their digital rights.

I don't know.  We've noticed several shows that the kids like exist in the Canadian, but not US, Netflix.

Apparently Netflix denies making any changes to it's policies or practices dealing with VPNs.

QuoteNetflix declined an interview request but released a statement saying it hasn't changed its policies on restricting access to content based on geography.

"Virtually crossing borders to use Netflix is a violation of our terms of use because of content licensing restrictions. We employ industry standard measures to prevent this kind of use. There hasn't been any recent changes to the Netflix VPN policy or terms of use," reads the statement.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/business-technology/netflix-mum-on-reports-of-new-vpn-crackdown/article22289173/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Fuck ikea. So apparently the final piece of my bed, the critical central bar without which I can't use it, needs to be bought separately :bleeding:
Nobody mentioned this in the shop at all when I bought the whole bed together. Such a shame those cunts have a monopoly, I've no choice but to go back there for the stupid bar and other things I need.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 05, 2015, 01:58:50 PM
Is it common for separate entities to own the rights for a movie in separate countries? I mean if it's say MGM and they're trying to hit Netflix up for showing one of its movies in each country, Netflix could decline and demand a worldwide bulk rate.

It happens all the time for non-US productions, and for indie US productions. Big studios will also sometimes reduce the risk of a movie by selling foreign distribution rights ahead of time.

It happens all the time for TV, too. HBO, for example, doesn't exist in most countries so it sells its stuff to local channels/distributors.

Syt

Netflix themselves are not immune. They sold first screening rights for House of Cards in Germany/Austria to Sky, so they'll always lag behind over here on that show.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

Quote from: Tyr on January 05, 2015, 02:47:20 PM
Fuck ikea. So apparently the final piece of my bed, the critical central bar without which I can't use it, needs to be bought separately :bleeding:
Nobody mentioned this in the shop at all when I bought the whole bed together. Such a shame those cunts have a monopoly, I've no choice but to go back there for the stupid bar and other things I need.

What does Ikea have a monopoly on?  The specific piece you need for your Ikea bed or beds in general?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: sbr on January 05, 2015, 03:15:00 PM
What does Ikea have a monopoly on?

Cheap, sturdy, nonridiculous furniture.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 05, 2015, 03:19:40 PM

There's also Goodwill and yard sales.  :Embarrass:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 05, 2015, 03:29:43 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 05, 2015, 03:19:40 PM

There's also Goodwill and yard sales.  :Embarrass:

I would be reluctant to buy a bed from those sources - unless you have an interest in collecting examples of the common cimex lectularius;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Oh yeah I was thinking chairs and tables.

Jacob

Apparently a "No Pants Skytrain Ride" is coming up in Vancouver. And apparently it's part of a wider thing.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/01/no-pants-skytrain-ride-vancouver-2015/

I wonder if most people involved were young women as this photo suggests?

crazy canuck

There is probably some form of consumer protection legislation requiring the product be fit for the purpose for which it was purchased that you can use to demand the bar at no extra cost.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 05, 2015, 05:34:32 PM

There is probably some form of consumer protection legislation requiring the product be fit for the purpose for which it was purchased that you can use to demand the bar at no extra cost.

Someone tell Ide.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on January 05, 2015, 05:41:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 05, 2015, 05:34:32 PM

Someone tell Ide.

:D

Well done

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on January 05, 2015, 05:32:36 PM
Apparently a "No Pants Skytrain Ride" is coming up in Vancouver. And apparently it's part of a wider thing.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/01/no-pants-skytrain-ride-vancouver-2015/

I wonder if most people involved were young women as this photo suggests?

Some young women...and a lot of male pervs.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

That's probably a spinoff of the ones Improv Everywhere organizes in New York.