News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I prefer that on the occasions when I get mad enough to punch the wall, I break the wall instead of my hand. Ok?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

I'd heard before that Henry I died of a 'surfeit of lampreys'. Only just discovered that King John died of a 'surfeit of peaches and cider'. Both sound like reasonably pleasant ways to go.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Local news: a 50,000 ton car transporter, one hour out of Southampton docks, runs aground on a sand bank in the Solent, weather conditions benign, now listing at 45degrees; that's a lot of dented/submerged/wrecked cars to deal with:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 03, 2015, 10:41:05 PM
I'd heard before that Henry I died of a 'surfeit of lampreys'. Only just discovered that King John died of a 'surfeit of peaches and cider'. Both sound like reasonably pleasant ways to go.

Magna Carta article.  Did you read the one about George Washington?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

My understanding was that Henry I choked on a lamprey eel, which doesn't sound particularly pleasant.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on January 03, 2015, 11:09:31 PM

My understanding was that Henry I choked on a lamprey eel, which doesn't sound particularly pleasant.

I thought it took him a while to die of the lampreys - as in days.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 03, 2015, 10:56:38 PM
U-61 is nearby.

There's four more of these large vehicle carriers moored in Southampton with two more having pasted it since it ran aground. I guess the port is the UK's major car and vehicle export/import port.

I could watch this realtime ship tracker of the local for oh, minutes more:
http://shipfinder.co/?bounds=49.373629,-4.816856,51.081287,0.621377

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on January 03, 2015, 11:09:31 PM

King John died in prison, sucking his thumb and calling for his mother, as I recall.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 03, 2015, 10:56:10 PM

Magna Carta article.  Did you read the one about George Washington?
No. Please share.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 04, 2015, 11:38:12 AM
No. Please share.

As in tell you about it?  I don't have a link.

Syt

http://www.thelocal.at/20150105/abusive-brother-jailed-for-incest

Quote'Sex contract' brother jailed for incest

A 17-year-old teenage boy has been sentenced to two and a half years in prison after admitting to the repeated sexual abuse of his then 12-year-old half-sister.

At the trial in Krems, the court heard that the incest was discovered when his mother found a written contract between the boy and his half-sister, that in return for sexual favours, the girl was allowed to play with some of his toys.

The teen, from the Waldviertel region of Lower Austria, was sentenced to 2.5 years conditional detention, of which five months must be served in prison.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Never write up a contract without having your lawyers comb through it.

garbon

I guess they thought that title would be flashier which is why they were okay contradicting it in the first sentence?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.