News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Damn, it's warm in Columbia this Xmas Eve.  Must be at least 60 degrees outside.  100% humidity helps, but it's a real sweatbox.  I've got the air on. :blink:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on December 24, 2014, 09:16:40 PM
Damn, it's warm in Columbia this Xmas Eve.  Must be at least 60 degrees outside.  100% humidity helps, but it's a real sweatbox.  I've got the air on. :blink:
Warm here too, but not AC warm.  I did have the windows open at the house earlier though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

My head is fucking killing me. <_<  Merry Christmas.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Read in The Economist that Illinois now has the same bond rating as Botswana.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 25, 2014, 08:07:58 AM
Read in The Economist that Illinois now has the same bond rating as Botswana.

Botswana is the bright light of Africa. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2014, 08:13:14 PM
As Hillary pointed out, this is not the first time in American history that a president's political opponents have tried to disseminate untruths or mischaracterizations about him.  The only difference now is that we have a black president. 

Why do you choose to believe that the root cause now is dislike of blacks, rather than whatever wackiness motivated people in the past?

An aggregate of observations during the relevant time period.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Obama is the first President I've heard of accused of being a Muslim and a Kenyan.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Why couldn't someone be a Kenyan Muslim?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

So the Egyptians are bitching about some Jewish fairy story movie.
I made the mistake of reading the comments of an article about this.
Bloody hell :bleeding:
What the fuck is wrong with these "the ancient Egyptians were black!!!111" idiots.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

You mean Exodus?  It's not just Egyptians. :lol:

Now, I do think it's kind of weird that there are calls for, specifically, modern Egyptians to play ancient ones--which is even less sensible as a requirement than the idea that modern Jews should play ancient ones--but it's not like they were white people.

That said, I somewhat agree.  It's a story about mythological figures, and it's never that surprising when mythological figures are reproduced in the ethnicity of those who hold them dear--in this case, a predominantly white audience.  Iirc, East Asians do the same thing with Siddhartha Guatama--a white guy, iirc--and Yeshua ben Yusef--a pre-Diaspora Jew.  So, yeah, it's not a super-big deal, but I reckon I'd still prefer a more exotic look to my Ramses than a white guy slathered in bronzer, and someone less pure whitebread than Joel Edgerton of all people.
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on December 25, 2014, 08:44:04 PM
Why couldn't someone be a Kenyan Muslim?

There is no reason a person can't be a Kenyan Muslim, in fact some people are.  What's your point?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadBurgerMaker

Screech seems to have shanked a dude in a bar:

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/28810/20141226/saved-by-the-bell-screech-actor-dustin-diamond-charged-with-stabbing-man-at-bar.htm

QuoteAccording to the Ozaukee County Sheriff, the former child star was charged with possession of a switchblade, reckless endangerment and carrying a concealed weapon. Hi bail was set at $10,000. His girlfriend was booked for disorderly conduct, and then released.