News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on December 12, 2014, 01:36:35 PM
I actually feel worse for people with herpes, in a way.

You get AIDS, people treat it like you.got burned saving a kid from.a fire. No sex, please, but here's a shiny ribbon.

Herpes? You disgusting whore, you have a disease that's annoying, into the fucking showers with you.

I think you're generalizing your own attitude there.

Ideologue

Jake, I am not. People have charities for HIV, people aren't (as) ashamed to say they have it, people sympathize because it's a death sentence (theoretically). And because AIDS is closely related to the modern flowering of gay culture, indeed in some ways like the Holocaust underpins the existence of Israel. Fwiw, I'd never give up the strides made, tho I wish it hadn't come on the back.of a plague.

HSV does not have the same social standing. It draws contempt instead of sympathy and compassion.

And I think that stinks. Now quit attributing beliefs and biases to me you know I don't have. :angry:

Garbo: so like armpit hair in the 1920s? Fucking capitalism. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Plenty of Herpes victims have found love in the Herpes community.  You've probably tripped over their ads in the classifieds and internet dating sites, Ide.  They're the ones that say "HERPES".

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 12, 2014, 01:48:35 PM
Jake, I am not. People have charities for HIV, people aren't (as) ashamed to say they have it, people sympathize because it's a death sentence (theoretically). And because AIDS is closely related to the modern flowering of gay culture, indeed in some ways like the Holocaust underpins the existence of Israel. Fwiw, I'd never give up the strides made, tho I wish it hadn't come on the back.of a plague.

HSV does not have the same social standing. It draws contempt instead of sympathy and compassion.

You are bonkers. I think, if I ever get HIV, I will be deeply, deeply depressed. Much more depressed than I would be if I had herpes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Now I ain't saying AIDS is not objectively worse.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2014, 01:52:13 PM
You are bonkers. I think, if I ever get HIV, I will be deeply, deeply depressed. Much more depressed than I would be if I had herpes.

You'd be OK to handle it, what with the take home test.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 12, 2014, 01:54:14 PM
Now I ain't saying AIDS is not objectively worse.

Yeah you are just saying something strange about how you feel worse for people who have herpes. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 12, 2014, 01:54:47 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2014, 01:52:13 PM

You'd be OK to handle it, what with the take home test.

I recall saying that I wouldn't want to take the take home test - but that unlike you, I didn't see the point in preventing people from buying it, who could handle that.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 12, 2014, 01:56:40 PM

:huh:

Yeah, I wasn't sure what he was saying. He likes women who go au natural or...?

Jacob

And I think that stinks. Now quit attributing beliefs and biases to me you know I don't have. :angry:

I know a handful of people who have herpes and it's pretty much not a big deal at all. They take some mediation and keep it under control, and live normal lives - some successful, some not successful. No one thinks of them as lepers; most people don't even know. It obviously requires disclosure if you're about to have unprotected sex with someone, so it closes off some casual sex avenues, but the people I know who have herpes seem to have pretty normal relationships.

AIDS/ HIV is fundamentally life altering. It's slowly inching towards being a controlled thing, but AFAIK it still impacts people to the degree that everyone will know you have it due to the changes to your life - even for hose with access to the best in medical technology.

I think you're taking your own obsessions about purity, sexual and otherwise, and projecting them society wide.

Ideologue

I don't even like purity. Just ask CDM.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Garb: iirc, the need for women.to go hairless axillawise was manufactured by razor companies and their marketets.  Ftr, I don't care about armpit hair, no.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 12, 2014, 02:04:36 PM
Garb: iirc, the need for women.to go hairless axillawise was manufactured by razor companies and their marketets.  Ftr, I don't care about armpit hair, no.

But I don't see that would upset you if you are fine either way. Latent compassion for what women have to go through?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 12, 2014, 02:02:41 PM
I don't even like purity. Just ask CDM.

Ide is Patient Brimley.