Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on November 13, 2014, 02:01:31 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 13, 2014, 01:54:25 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 13, 2014, 01:22:54 PM
You know what was a great movie? Gangs of New York. Daniel Day Lewis is excellent as the protagonist.

Not a huge fan of overacting.

I prefer to call this acting in that a bravura performance.

My foot it was.

Haven't seen GoNY btw.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 13, 2014, 12:37:25 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2014, 12:06:15 PM
Mars landers have sent back color photos.

Mars is not far

Plus usually, they are false color images.

Indeed.  I bet 90+% of people don't realize that those fancy, colorful pictures of galaxies and nebulae are all false color.  If you look at them in a telescope, they're a very boring dull grey.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Host of boring TV show surfs the internet and discovers people have invented a drinking game about said boring TV show.
Creates an episode specially designed to target the people who play the drinking game :lol:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/kevin-mccloud-wrote-a-grand-designs-episode-deliberately-targeted-at-fans-drinking-game-9859122.html

QuoteNew population statistics for Vienna is out:

31% of the people living in Vienna have been born in foreign countries.

18% have at least one parent who was born a foreigner, bringing the total number of "people with immigration background" to 49% (out of 1.8 million).

23% of the people in Vienna have a foreign passport (like me!).
Take foreign to mean non-Austrian and....just like the old days no? :cheers:
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Truly awesome Lena Dunham pic at the bottom of Squeeze's link.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 13, 2014, 12:37:25 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2014, 12:06:15 PM
Mars landers have sent back color photos.

Mars is not far

Plus usually, they are false color images.

It's still pretty far.  It's also always changing distance from the Earth since both bodies are moving.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on November 13, 2014, 06:45:55 PM
Take foreign to mean non-Austrian and....just like the old days no? :cheers:

Not quite. You would have to raise the number of people living here by 15% and reduce the area of the city by 20-30%. :P

But yeah, a lot of "traditional" Viennese names will have a distinct Bohemian, Slovakian, Hungarian or Croatian touch. ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

ISIS is issuing their own currency.
Of course it is a pure metallic monetary system - gold, silver, and copper coins. 
Shiny metals have an attraction nutcases of every stripe.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Ed has never said a single bad word about you. :glare:

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2014, 10:15:56 AM
Of course it is a pure metallic monetary system - gold, silver, and copper coins. 

Well the creating of a pre-printing press medieval kingdom does require the adoption of hard currency.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Pretty funny coming from somebody who believes in the make-believe money of the stock market.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 14, 2014, 10:49:55 AM

Pretty funny coming from somebody who believes in the make-believe money of the stock market.

Au contraire, the ranks of the hard money crowd are filled with all sorts of hedge fund .0001 percenters.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

I find that a little hard to believe.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2014, 10:35:52 AM
Ed has never said a single bad word about you. :glare:

Minsky covets my silver
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall