News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Brazen on November 13, 2014, 11:40:12 AM
Are comets black and white or are the photos from Philae just that way because science? Would it be dumb to Tweet that question to ESA?

You don't put color sensors on far reaching spaceships those thing are not sensible enough for the amount of lights.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Mars landers have sent back color photos.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 13, 2014, 09:27:52 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2014, 11:27:24 PM
The long-term prospects for American corporatism is excellent.  American society has become used to it, and has bought into it. 

When you've convinced the majority of the electorate to support an economic model that is fundamentally against their own interests and that of the nation's, you've already won.   Cha. Ching.

That doesn't make sense.  Such a system cannot sustain itself.

Sure it can.  Been going strong since 1980, and only becoming more entrenched.  :yeah:

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2014, 12:06:15 PM

I don't think Mars is a comet.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on November 13, 2014, 12:15:58 PM
I don't think Mars is a comet.

I was responding to Gay Fox's point about far reaching space craft.  If that wasn't already abundantly clear.

Brazen

They just need to tweak its aerial and smack it on the side. 

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2014, 12:06:15 PM

Mars is not far

Plus usually, they are false color images.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on November 13, 2014, 12:27:00 PM
They just need to tweak its aerial and smack it on the side.

You forgot the extra foil.

Syt

New population statistics for Vienna is out:

31% of the people living in Vienna have been born in foreign countries.

18% have at least one parent who was born a foreigner, bringing the total number of "people with immigration background" to 49% (out of 1.8 million).

23% of the people in Vienna have a foreign passport (like me!).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

You know what was a great movie? Gangs of New York. Daniel Day Lewis is excellent as the protagonist.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Flawed.  One of DDL's weaker roles IMO.  He played a caricature.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 13, 2014, 12:07:59 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 13, 2014, 09:27:52 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2014, 11:27:24 PM
The long-term prospects for American corporatism is excellent.  American society has become used to it, and has bought into it. 

When you've convinced the majority of the electorate to support an economic model that is fundamentally against their own interests and that of the nation's, you've already won.   Cha. Ching.

That doesn't make sense.  Such a system cannot sustain itself.

Sure it can.  Been going strong since 1980, and only becoming more entrenched.  :yeah:

The Soviet Union went on for decades before it collapsed under its own contradictions.  Whatever the economic model is must be tied to the best interests of the nation that supports it, because if it destroys its nation it destroys itself.

I'm not saying this isn't happening.  American businesses are notorious for short-term thinking.  I'm just saying that if it is then sometime in the next few decades it will either change for the better or completely fall apart.

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on November 13, 2014, 01:22:54 PM
You know what was a great movie? Gangs of New York. Daniel Day Lewis is excellent as the protagonist.

Not a huge fan of overacting.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on November 13, 2014, 01:54:25 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 13, 2014, 01:22:54 PM

Not a huge fan of overacting.

I prefer to call this acting in that a bravura performance.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"