The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on November 12, 2014, 01:23:19 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 12, 2014, 01:20:06 PM
The ESA is based in Darmstadt which I like a lot. I hope their lift music is Stockhausen :lol:

Darm is German for intestine. :)

It's the intestine of Frankfurt (am Main) I guess since it's to the south of Frankfurt, about 40 km away.

Caliga

I think my parents are going to buy me lederhosen tomorrow.  Caloo callay!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on November 12, 2014, 11:03:10 PM
I think my parents are going to buy me lederhosen tomorrow.  Caloo callay!

What did you do to piss them off?

I start earning overtime tomorrow morning.  :pirate

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on November 12, 2014, 12:51:05 PM
That still seems a bit of a free for all. Like something from Sim City.

People doing largely what they want with their properties as long as its not an extreme case? TEH SCANDAL!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Tamas on November 13, 2014, 04:21:44 AM

People doing largely what they want with their properties as long as its not an extreme case? TEH SCANDAL!

Zoning = commie shit.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Yeah. It affects the properties of other people so it's entirely appropriate for the government to provide a means of balancing those competing interests.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2014, 08:44:24 AM

Yeah. It affects the properties of other people so it's entirely appropriate for the government to provide a means of balancing those competing interests.

Within reasonable limits.

Ideologue

Reasonable limits: it might not be okay if you decide to buy a lot in a residential neighborhood, turn it into a tire landfill, and start a fire that will last for twenty years (but this is, of course, context dependent).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

(FWIW, I don't like affirmative duties imposed on property owners, but that's mainly a function of the "voluntary" tyranny of housing associations here.)
Kinemalogue

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2014, 11:27:24 PM
The long-term prospects for American corporatism is excellent.  American society has become used to it, and has bought into it. 

When you've convinced the majority of the electorate to support an economic model that is fundamentally against their own interests and that of the nation's, you've already won.   Cha. Ching.

That doesn't make sense.  Such a system cannot sustain itself.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Are comets black and white or are the photos from Philae just that way because science? Would it be dumb to Tweet that question to ESA?

Admiral Yi

A question too stupid for Twitter?  The mind boggles.