News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2014, 12:28:21 PM
I thought Tokyo had very strict regulations about blocking sunlight to other buildings.
I've never heard of it.
And Tokyo isn't Japan.
Cities there seem to be a free for all of build whatever you want wherever you want. They've utterly destroyed most cities with this thinking and the resulting donutting.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on November 12, 2014, 12:32:52 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2014, 12:28:21 PM
I thought Tokyo had very strict regulations about blocking sunlight to other buildings.
I've never heard of it.
And Tokyo isn't Japan.
Cities there seem to be a free for all of build whatever you want wherever you want. They've utterly destroyed most cities with this thinking and the resulting donutting.

So you don't actually know anything about zoning and planning in Japan? You just conclude that it's a free for all based on the fact that... you don't like the results?

In case you're interested, here's a primer on zoning in Japan: http://urbankchoze.blogspot.ca/2014/04/japanese-zoning.html

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2014, 11:42:48 AM
Not really.  Keynes focused on deficit spending compensating for a shortfall in aggregate demand.  AFAIK he didn't even look at how the deficit is spent.

He did but it often gets lost because the bit about burying and digging up old bars made such a good sound bite. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

That still seems a bit of a free for all. Like something from Sim City.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on November 12, 2014, 12:51:05 PM
That still seems a bit of a free for all. Like something from Sim City.

Sure, but "seems a bit free for all" is not the same as "build whatever you want wherever you want."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 12, 2014, 12:26:43 PM
Our planning laws are too strict.
But then there's Japan where they pretty much don't exist. :bleeding:
I think they're too strict. But then I go to France, Italy or Spain and I'm rather glad we have them.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

The Yuropean Space Agency has put a lander, launched 10 years ago, on the surface of a comet.

Good work boys and girls. :cheers:

Admiral Yi

First images will reach Earth in a half hour.

Jacob

Sheilbh

The ESA is based in Darmstadt which I like a lot. I hope their lift music is Stockhausen :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 12, 2014, 01:20:06 PM
The ESA is based in Darmstadt which I like a lot. I hope their lift music is Stockhausen :lol:

Darm is German for intestine. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

"The light from this comet originated when Europeans could still waste money on frivolous pure research."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tamas

I might have two Gaslight Anthem tickets of their London gig on the 19th of November for sale. Will know for sure tomorrow. Anyone interested?

MadImmortalMan

The market has been going down since CNBC became obsessed with a couple window washers stuck on the side of the WTC. News is brain poison.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers