Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on November 05, 2014, 05:05:21 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2014, 05:57:04 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2014, 05:54:25 PM
Still, that's 4 grand a year.  That's a crazy amount for insurance, even for a punk, which Squeeze isn't any more.
It is high, apparently average nowadays is £1000. But that's why most people are put on their parents' insurance :lol:

I have checked this out, assumed I would be buying a 2 years old version of my precious Corolla I have back home (it means a 2012 Auris with automatic transmission).
Entering all info as is (no UK license - although that should be easy to get, never had an insurance on my own name, but has been driving for 13 years etc).

Well, cheapest would be around 490 pounds per month, that doesn't include legal or breakdown coverage (I assume I am also fucked if it gets stolen). Cheapest insurance company whose name I can actuall recognise is 1120 per year :bleeding: And I even set my own excess to be 500 pounds :bleeding:
I am assuming for an older used car I would probably end up buying it would be even worse :bleeding:

I think it might work the other way for you. :unsure:

Is there any reason you especially want a recent car, to look business like for work gigs, impress someone ?

Why not think about or try out a cheap motor, just until you've sorted out the logistics and economics of commuting?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Second languages around the world:

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on November 05, 2014, 06:34:53 AM

I think it might work the other way for you. :unsure:

Is there any reason you especially want a recent car, to look business like for work gigs, impress someone ?

Why not think about or try out a cheap motor, just until you've sorted out the logistics and economics of commuting?

Well this is largely academic at this stage. I live extremely close to work so I don't actually NEED a car. But I miss having one so eventually moving somewhere cheaper and getting a car is a possibility.

As for the car itself, I think a used car is a big gamble, so I would prefer something with still manufacturer guarantee on it.

Brazen

Quote from: Tamas on November 05, 2014, 06:50:32 AM
As for the car itself, I think a used car is a big gamble, so I would prefer something with still manufacturer guarantee on it.
Those are often not worth the paper they're written on - the things that are most likely to go wrong are rarely covered. Go second hand and get a car-savvy friend to kick the tyres and suck his teeth at the state of the engine for you. Check Autotrader for the reliability of the model and year, and the price you should be paying for the condition.

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on November 05, 2014, 06:55:44 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 05, 2014, 06:50:32 AM
Those are often not worth the paper they're written on - the things that are most likely to go wrong are rarely covered. Go second hand and get a car-savvy friend to kick the tyres and suck his teeth at the state of the engine for you. Check Autotrader for the reliability of the model and year, and the price you should be paying for the condition.

This.

Also modern cars are a lot more reliable than one I used to drive.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Haven't had one of those in my mailbox in a while:

QuoteNotice,

We officially write to confirm the payment instruction of unclaimed fund with reference number USD788765 from The INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND (IMF) in conjunction with UNITED NATIONS and the Foreign Exchange Transfer Department of UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA (UBA), OFFICE CHECK YOUR NAME ON THIS WEBSITE: http://www.locatecash.com / http://www.unclaimedmoney.com for confirmation of the instruction from the INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND (IMF) in conjunction with UNITED NATIONS and your contract fund is as follows:

UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA (UBA) has decided to bring to your attention, that you were listed as a beneficiary in the recent schedule for payment of outstanding IMF

Compensation Program pending since 2000-2014. According to your file record with your Email ID and Ref code 2. (IMFDUS3WXXX) your payment is categorized as:-Unpaid Compensation Funds.

We are making this publication to inform you the beneficiary with the indicated Ref. code above that US$3,000,000.00 has been awarded to your email with the above Ref. Code No. As it was commanded by The IMF Director (Mrs Christine Lagarde). You are therefore required to get back to us for further directives:

The total of US$3,000,000.00 have been confirmed for final payment in your name from UBA Burkina Faso, by VISA/MASTER ATM CARD which the fund will be credited into for final dispatch to any of your given home/office address (s) in your country via Chronopost post or DHL.

The total fund will be credited into a VISA/MASTER ATM CARD in your name which the ATM CARD will be sent to you via Chronopost post or DHL including the pin code to enable you withdraw the cash money from any ATM machine in your city, country or any part of the world. Therefore, your personal details are highly needed for proper identification, to enable the dispatch of your VISA/MASTER ATM CARD.

Full name:............................................................................
Age:.....................................................................................
Home address:.........................................................................
Occupation:...........................................................................
Nationality:...........................................................................
Mobile number:......................................................................
Fax number:.........................................................................
Next of kin:...........................................................................
ID or passport copy by attachment:.............................................

You are advised to contact unclaimed fund agent

Name: Dr. Jonas Nunu,
Reply-to e-mail: [email protected]

Note: you must contact the unclaimed fund agent to direct you on the next step for your fund claiming, we are happy to serve you, mail us for more details

Thank You and your swift response will be to your utmost advantage.

Yours Faithfully,
Mrs Celina Audrey Gomez.
IMF Public Service Announcer.
ASIA/ MIDDLE EAST/ / AFRICA REGION.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2014, 07:25:43 PM
As for the premiums being crazy high, you have to remember that the cost of your car is not the maximum cost that you can incur by getting into an accident, you can maim people and be on the hook for six figures.

No, but the maximum cost the insurance company can incur is whatever your coverage limit is.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 04, 2014, 10:40:27 PM
Maybe squeeze had a no deductible insurance.

My insurance cost me 850$/year for 2 cars.

I pay that per car, and that is just for the required insurance. <_<

Grey Fox

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 05, 2014, 10:26:18 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 04, 2014, 10:40:27 PM
Maybe squeeze had a no deductible insurance.

My insurance cost me 850$/year for 2 cars.

I pay that per car, and that is just for the required insurance. <_<

No fault, highly regulated, highly competitive market.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 05, 2014, 10:22:28 AM
Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2014, 07:25:43 PM
As for the premiums being crazy high, you have to remember that the cost of your car is not the maximum cost that you can incur by getting into an accident, you can maim people and be on the hook for six figures.

No, but the maximum cost the insurance company can incur is whatever your coverage limit is.
Not always, but that's a good approximation.  But that maximum cost can be 50 times what your car is worth.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Larch on November 05, 2014, 06:49:14 AM

Charts seem to confuse "second language" with "second most spoken language"
I.e. in some countries it seems to be capturing the first language of big linguistic minorities and not the languages actually spoken as second languages.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 05, 2014, 02:26:15 PM

I.e. in some countries it seems to be capturing the first language of big linguistic minorities and not the languages actually spoken as second languages.

Well, a chart showing everybody was learning English wouldn't be as interesting.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 05, 2014, 02:34:44 PM

Well, a chart showing everybody was learning English wouldn't be as interesting.

Except that lots and lots of countries did in fact have "english" listed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

Can't tell what the language listed for Laos is. Looks a bit like French, but it's the wrong colour.

CountDeMoney

Isn't French still the most popular 2nd language worldwide by total population, followed by Eengrish?