And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on August 26, 2014, 08:50:33 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 26, 2014, 01:00:42 AM
I went in the British Museum on July 4th 2007. They were celebrating our independence day in the cafeteria there and had it decorated with US flags everywhere.  :P

Well I was there August 24, 2007. They had a reenactment of the burning of the white house, complete with a midget playing James Madison running away in panicked terror.

It's not offensive unless they have a Chippendales model partially dressed in a Redcoat outfit spanking the midget's behind.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 26, 2014, 09:21:44 AM
I was there on August 12th 2014. They had an exhibit showing WW1 from the point of view of Germany.

So they got the sunsets. Vas ist da biggen dealen.

garbon

They also had an exhibit about Zimbabwe's worthless money that made a little boy throw a tantrum. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on August 26, 2014, 09:49:35 AM
They also had an exhibit about Zimbabwe's worthless money that made a little boy throw a tantrum. :(

Young currency speculator?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

I'm at the british museum right now. :)
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on August 26, 2014, 09:55:12 AM

I was very surprised that such a thing could make a child unhappy. He didn't understand why the piece said it was cheaper to use the money as scrap paper than plain white paper. His parents told him the money was worthless and he said that he didn't understand why they would have printed the money then. His parents tried to explain that the money hadn't always been worthless but he wasn't having it. Instead he threw himself on the ground - kicking and screaming.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on August 26, 2014, 09:59:40 AM

Do you experience a sense of belonging?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on August 26, 2014, 10:01:15 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 26, 2014, 09:55:12 AM

I was very surprised that such a thing could make a child unhappy. He didn't understand why the piece said it was cheaper to use the money as scrap paper than plain white paper. His parents told him the money was worthless and he said that he didn't understand why they would have printed the money then. His parents tried to explain that the money hadn't always been worthless but he wasn't having it. Instead he threw himself on the ground - kicking and screaming.

Sounds like a "goldbug" in the making.  :D

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on August 26, 2014, 10:01:21 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 26, 2014, 09:59:40 AM

Do you experience a sense of belonging?
There are a lot of Oriental people about so it does feel kinda familiar. Being able to use the internet on my phone has been a while too
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

I just picked up a new file from my inbox.  I saw that the trial date is set for October 28, 2014.

I thought to myself "Wow - that's set a really long time from now"

Then I realized that it is, in fact, already August 2014.  :Embarrass:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2014, 11:35:45 AM
I just picked up a new file from my inbox.  I saw that the trial date is set for October 28, 2014.

I thought to myself "Wow - that's set a really long time from now"

Then I realized that it is, in fact, already August 2014.  :Embarrass:

You'll be home before the leaves fall.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Grey Fox

My work place moved over the weekend. Holy shit, what a clusterfuck.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 26, 2014, 03:13:28 PM
My work place moved over the weekend. Holy shit, what a clusterfuck.
My current company is the first one ever that has had moves go (relatively) smoothly.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 25, 2014, 06:07:49 PM
Quote from: Maximus on August 25, 2014, 05:57:31 PM
We celebrate victories over Britain all the time. This is really no different.

I don't think we celebrate them at our embassy in London.
Of course, in the US Embassy in London 'Independence Day' is called 'Day of Abstinence' :)

QuoteThe only thing childish I see here is not being able to take the joke.
Same. And surely the humour is in precisely an official account being silly and making a joke like this?

QuoteDid they serve offensively stereotypical American food?
Offensively stereotypical American food is the big trend in London at the minute - in my view it's rather over-stayed its welcome and got above itself a little.

But the clue's in the name I suppose :P
Let's bomb Russia!