News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Summer droughts don't injure national pride/dignity.  :mad:

That's like saying Napoleon's burning of Moscow was no worse than a regular Russian season of serfdom.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 25, 2014, 03:45:10 PM
It's in bad taste because it commemorates burning the White House, one of our most revered national symbols.

It needed renovations.  Anyway God pounded the British with a crazy bad hailstorm soon afterwards.

See it is humorless sensitive pricks like you why we have to re-enact the Battle of Trafalgar with a 'blue' and 'red' teams.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 25, 2014, 04:56:02 PM
Summer droughts don't injure national pride/dignity.  :mad:

That's like saying Napoleons burning of Moscow was no worse than a regular Russian season of serfdom.  :P

I thought the Russians burnt it themselves in a bid of national sacrifice or something...or maybe they accidentally burnt it while evacuating.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2014, 04:54:21 PM
WTF?  It was 200 years ago.  Hardly anybody was hurt and we rebuilt it soon afterwards.  A normal summer in California is more of a disaster than that was.

Maybe your ancestors were more recent immigrants and you wouldn't understand.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2014, 04:57:11 PM
It needed renovations.  Anyway God pounded the British with a crazy bad hailstorm soon afterwards.

They paid for it at New Orleans.  Regardless, it was bad form for the Brit embassy to make the joke.  People here can joke about it all they want, of course.  They're not representing the Brit government.

QuoteSee it is humorless sensitive pricks like you why we have to re-enact the Battle of Trafalgar with a 'blue' and 'red' teams.

Not at all.  This is not re-enacting a battle.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

FunkMonk

Quote from: mongers on August 25, 2014, 02:21:30 PM
British embassy in Washington marks events 200 years ago:

"Commemorating the 200th anniversary of burning the White House. Only sparklers this time!"

Full article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28929626

:lol: :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 25, 2014, 04:58:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2014, 04:54:21 PM
WTF?  It was 200 years ago.  Hardly anybody was hurt and we rebuilt it soon afterwards.  A normal summer in California is more of a disaster than that was.

Maybe your ancestors were more recent immigrants and you wouldn't understand.

My ancestors were part of the Maryland Militia that ran away leaving the Capital defenseless.  Not our best moment in America.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 25, 2014, 05:06:42 PM
Not at all.  This is not re-enacting a battle.

Dude it was a joke.  A joke.  They had an American flag there with sparklers.  It was not meant to be mean.

Maximus

We celebrate victories over Britain all the time. This is really no different.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on August 25, 2014, 05:57:31 PM
We celebrate victories over Britain all the time. This is really no different.

I don't think we celebrate them at our embassy in London.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on August 25, 2014, 05:57:31 PM
We celebrate victories over Britain all the time.

All the time? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

At least once per year.

garbon

You mean when we celebrate that we are a nation? I don't think most people give that much thought to the British on that day.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Had we somehow gotten across the Atlantic to burn Parliament and Buckingham Palace I doubt we'd be making childish jokes about it at our embassy in London.

Maybe Obama was right to diss the Brits.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 25, 2014, 03:24:13 PM
Can't wait to see the Germans send Poland a melted cake to commemorate the liquidation of the Warsaw Ghetto.
LULZ ICH BIN EIN JOKERLINER

I laughed.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive