Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on August 25, 2014, 03:14:12 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2014, 03:09:20 PM
Now that's funny!

SOme people have no sense of humour apparently. <_<

It's in bad taste.

In what way?  They commemorated something that is a historical fact, that happened so long ago it is well outside of living memory, and something that when viewed today is somewhat comical.  And finally, few people were seriously hurt.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 25, 2014, 03:24:13 PM
Can't wait to see the Germans send Poland a melted cake to commemorate the liquidation of the Warsaw Ghetto.
LULZ ICH BIN EIN JOKERLINER

They could use this lego set on top of the cake:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2012/01/lego-concentration-camp-warsaw-museum.html

:D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

It's in bad taste. 

If I designed the cake, it would have been in a lot worse taste.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2014, 03:29:27 PM
Now that's funny!

It's in bad taste.

In what way?  They commemorated something that is a historical fact, that happened so long ago it is well outside of living memory, and something that when viewed today is somewhat comical.  And finally, few people were seriously hurt.

It's in bad taste because it commemorates burning the White House, one of our most revered national symbols.

Yeah, it's comical for you because you identify with that side.  You Canadians love to giggle about burning the White House. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on August 25, 2014, 03:45:10 PM
Now that's funny!

It's in bad taste.

It's in bad taste because it commemorates burning the White House, one of our most revered national symbols.

Yeah, it's comical for you because you identify with that side.  You Canadians love to giggle about burning the White House.

Dude, the building was burned, then rebult, two hundred years ago.  Let it go.  I'm pretty sure that by 2145 the Germans will be able to good-naturedly joke about the London Blitz too (concentration camps, on the other hand...)

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on August 25, 2014, 03:45:10 PM
Now that's funny!

It's in bad taste.

Would have been even more comical if they depicted your president scuttling off in terror, perhaps with a napkin still tucked under his chin.  :D

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2014, 03:58:30 PM
Dude, the building was burned, then rebult, two hundred years ago.  Let it go. 

Easier to let things go when you're not getting them rubbed in your face.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 25, 2014, 04:09:16 PM
Dude, the building was burned, then rebult, two hundred years ago.  Let it go. 

Easier to let things go when you're not getting them rubbed in your face.

A cake with sparklers counts as "having it rubbed in your face"?  :unsure:

The Brain

I am shocked that Americans are butthurt.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2014, 04:13:11 PM
A cake with sparklers counts as "having it rubbed in your face"?  :unsure:

It'd be perfectly fine from a British comedy team. Not from the embassy.

I'm sure the Swedish pm is ecstatic when the British ambassador gives him ball bearings for Christmas.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 25, 2014, 04:17:53 PM

I'm sure the Swedish pm is ecstatic when the British ambassador gives him ball bearings for Christmas.

:unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Dude, the building was burned, then rebult, two hundred years ago.  Let it go.  I'm pretty sure that by 2145 the Germans will be able to good-naturedly joke about the London Blitz too (concentration camps, on the other hand...)

I'm not offended but also have to say that this "joke" didn't strike me as particularly funny.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

My commemorative plate collection of Lady Di post-mortem pics is a hell of a lot funnier.

Valmy

Now that's funny!

It's in bad taste.  Good thing British lack of spine eventually overcame their dislike of Americans in this case, though.

WTF?  It was 200 years ago.  Hardly anybody was hurt and we rebuilt it soon afterwards.  A normal summer in California is more of a disaster than that was.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."