News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2014, 11:49:55 AM
Any advice on how to become a resume slut?

Go out alone after dark. Wear a short skirt. Visit less reputable places that aren't well lit. Drink alcohol. Maybe take some drugs. Accept drinks from strange men. The rest will take care of itself.

Oh wait, didn't see the word resume. I have no idea.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

I am trying to get hired for after graduation so I really need to get it all tarted up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2014, 12:00:22 PM
I am trying to get hired for after graduation so I really need to get it all tarted up.

But once you're in power none of that will be necessary.  Just remember those of us who supported you along the way.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2014, 11:49:55 AMAny advice on how to become a resume slut?

you've graduated, right? i'm still in school, and in a different profession, so i'm not sure how applicable my advice is. but, what i did last semester was scan through bio pages and linkedin profiles of top regional attorneys to try and emulate their achievements. also, if there are major engineer forums that focus on the application process, read through all those threads. if there are well known national engineering associations, you could join one or two of those - be careful not to overdo it, though. if you know a recruiter for an engineering firm is a member for some association, you could try joining it just to put on the resume you send him. competitive internships are also very nice, or any internship which has you doing substantive work.

edit - NM, looks like you're still in school. do you have a close relationship with a professor or two? if not, develop those relationships. they can be very useful. i'm not sure if teacher assistant is an option for you, but it's probably worth a shot if it is. also, grades. grades. grades. that's the most important thing. wherever you're at now in class rank or GPA, improve by graduation.

garbon

Optimizing a resume is slutty?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2014, 12:37:18 PMOptimizing a resume is slutty?

i only have time for three classes this semester because i'm whoring myself out to resume builders* :P

*i don't mean stuff like "treasurer of the organization of poor law students," which imo are all worthless.

mongers

We've pretty much done every topic under the sun now, haven't we?

I was think of starting one on photography, but we must have done that, probably even me who started it back in the day.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on August 13, 2014, 01:12:26 PM
*i don't mean stuff like "treasurer of the organization of poor law students," which imo are all worthless.

I made myself Vice President of the Seoul Foreign School Amerasian Society and it got me into GU.  :D

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on August 13, 2014, 01:12:26 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2014, 12:37:18 PMOptimizing a resume is slutty?

i only have time for three classes this semester because i'm whoring myself out to resume builders* :P

Ah, I get you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 13, 2014, 09:51:34 AM
Quote from: Liep on August 13, 2014, 09:50:56 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 12, 2014, 07:22:53 PM
Tripped on an escalator with my keys in my hand, so that when I braced myself I struck the edge of the step fingernail-first.  I thought I was okay at first but I apparently hit hard enough for blood to start leaking out of my cuticle. :pinch:

Why did you have your keys in your hand? And how can you trip on an escalator, I was under the impression that Americans never use them as stairs.

That's a bad impression. God damn assholes running up those things.

I like blocking those fuckers.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2014, 03:55:26 PM
I made myself Vice President of the Seoul Foreign School Amerasian Society and it got me into GU.  :D

Why not President?  Didn't want to overdo it?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Just seen the latest immigration figures. Horrifying. The Australians are back :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 13, 2014, 04:54:04 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 13, 2014, 09:51:34 AM
Quote from: Liep on August 13, 2014, 09:50:56 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 12, 2014, 07:22:53 PM
Tripped on an escalator with my keys in my hand, so that when I braced myself I struck the edge of the step fingernail-first.  I thought I was okay at first but I apparently hit hard enough for blood to start leaking out of my cuticle. :pinch:

Why did you have your keys in your hand? And how can you trip on an escalator, I was under the impression that Americans never use them as stairs.

That's a bad impression. God damn assholes running up those things.

I like blocking those fuckers.
stand right,walk left mother fucker!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on August 13, 2014, 11:58:39 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2014, 11:49:55 AM
Any advice on how to become a resume slut?

Go out alone after dark. Wear a short skirt. Visit less reputable places that aren't well lit. Drink alcohol. Maybe take some drugs. Accept drinks from strange men. The rest will take care of itself.

Oh wait, didn't see the word resume. I have no idea.

After the short skirt thing I had difficulty getting men to buy me drinks.  Turns out there's no place that is that poorly lit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017