And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2014, 11:30:45 PM
:hmm:

I was not taught abstinence only :huh: it varies by school district I think.  And glad to see we are down to fifth highest.   Texas was highest for quite sometime.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

I love this Savage Love letter.

QuoteI'm in my mid-40s. About two years ago, I had a one-night stand with a 19-year-old college student who placed an ad on Craigslist looking to meet older guys for no-strings-attached fun. We had a good time. He was charming, intelligent, and fun. I was surprised to learn during our conversation that he hoped to pursue a career in my profession. I gave him some advice, and we went our separate ways. Fast-forward two years. We are looking for some temporary summer intern-type help, and we got a résumé from a qualified person looking for a summer job. We brought the candidate in for an interview, which my supervisor and I conducted. To my surprise, the applicant was the one-night stand. We obviously did not discuss our prior meeting during the interview, but by the brief, mild look of surprise on his face, my guess was that he was as surprised as I was. He handled himself well in the interview. My supervisor intends to hire him. I would be his direct supervisor. There would be no way around this if he was brought in for the two-or-three-month job, but our contact would be almost exclusively via e-mail. My instinct is that our prior one-night stand shouldn't disqualify him from the job. He's qualified, and my colleague wants to hire him ASAP. What are your thoughts? Any red flags? How should I handle this? Should I broach the subject with him? I don't want to insult his intelligence or even hint that I think he's using our meeting two years prior to land a brief summer job. Again, I am convinced he didn't realize he was going to interview with me.

Nervous Supervisor Anxious

Lots of red flags—I could spin out a few Worst Case Scenarios—but the kid is qualified, he handled himself (and only himself) well during the interview, and your supervisor, who tops you in your company's organogram (and only there), plans to hire him. Under the circumstances, NSA, I don't see how you can avoid supervising this guy for the summer. What would you say to your supervisor? "Hey, look—I sometimes cruise Craigslist looking for young-but-legal ass, and I fucked this kid a couple of years ago, so... let's interview a few more candidates, and hopefully I won't have fucked any of them."

And I agree that the kid shouldn't be penalized for having a consensual one-night stand with an adult who was a stranger to him at the time. So have a quick face-to-face word with your new hire on his first day. Acknowledge the awkwardness privately and verbally (put nothing in writing), tell him the hiring decision wasn't yours and he got the gig on his merits, and close with something like this: "Things between us will be strictly professional from now on, of course—and, hey, crazy coincidence, huh?" Then stick to e-mails for the duration of his internship.

Grain of salt: I've never worked in a place that used organograms—I've never had a corporate job in my life—so my advice could be total crap. Just FYI.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2014, 07:48:55 AM

Sure but then presumably we shouldn't draw any conclusions from any "infographics" formulated in meme-style.

Presumably the creator of the image would like us to do so.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Damn, Bradley Wiggins all but announces his retirement from road racing to concentrate on track medals:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonwealth-games/28477534

:(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 24, 2014, 05:29:19 PM

Sure but then presumably we shouldn't draw any conclusions from any "infographics" formulated in meme-style.

Sure but then presumably Chick tracts were created with the plan to be convincing.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2014, 07:14:39 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 24, 2014, 05:29:19 PM

Sure but then presumably Chick tracts were created with the plan to be convincing.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Razgovory

Indeed.  Anyway, I got to feel smart cause despite not knowing shit about stats, Guller agreed with me, and he does know about stats.  So I'm happy.

Though if you like, you can post Chick tracks and I'll find fault with them.

garbon

Well, I'm glad you feel happy.

Ideologue

I hate that song.

I also hate sucralose.  Those commie fucks at Publix pulled one over on me with their store brand diet coke.  No wonder I've felt sick the past couple of days.  I thought I was just tired and a bit overworked.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

garbon

Ideologue

Splenda is fucking awful.  It's poison, for one thing, and it's also why these cokes have that nasty, hours-persistent aftertastes; I avoid overdrinking Pepsi Ones and Coke Zeros so it took me this long to place it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

I don't mind the aftertaste. That said, I generally use it in combination with a bit of sugar too (like for tea, coffee).