And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on July 23, 2014, 07:05:24 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 22, 2014, 01:30:06 PM
No surprise that Baltimore, Louisville and Austin make the all-American hipster list.  :P
Yes, we do have a whole hipster neighborhood.  Unfortunately there are a lot of interesting restaurants there so I have to go there sometimes.  It sickens me.  SICKENS ME.

Seriously, though, hipster chicks = so hot.  Well, if they're hot already; they do tend to have cool haircuts and at least attempt to stay skinny.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2014, 11:47:28 PM
Yeah, they are going to have to do a little better then that.

What's better than having babies?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2014, 11:51:27 PM
:hmm:

Angelina and Madonna have shown me that the correct answer is buying them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Fair enough.  Homosexuality is probably a form of kin selection anyway.  And we're all brothers and sisters and such. :)
Kinemalogue

Syt

Texas has would have the highest teen birth rate if Ed moved there.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Oh, yeah, and Stanford does equal privileged.  The accusation's a bit tired, but even so.

That said, no, I was not disadvantaged in any conventional or universally accepted way, insofar as being socially retarded and raised by social retards is not one of the accepted categories.  (If ever feasible, I'll probably adopt too. -_- )

Kind of wish I'd been gay or a woman, though.  Not because I covet the status, in a George-Will-is-an-idiot-monster kind of way, but because I think I'd have had a much easier time of it with my personality (especially as a female, I think the different hormonal balance would have really taken the rough edges off post-puberty, that led to a nearly endless series of typically masculine folly :( ).

Could be sour grapes, but I see my sister (gay woman); she's not as smart or as well-educated as I am, radically more successful--and has been since high school--though we're actually very similar in many ways.  Could also be because she was the second kid and my parents didn't fuck up as badly with her.  Or it could be genetic differences; you can never tell with siblings, it's only an average of 50% shared DNA.

Would not be black in America.  Seems difficult.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

garbon

I decided that we didn't need to continue this. :hug:

Ideologue

That's fine.  I think you're a smart dude who deserved to go to Stanford, fwiw.
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2014, 11:49:35 PM

I'm referring to the useless statistics.  I never studied statistics, but I wasn't born yesterday.  All the numbers are relative to unstated numbers and thus tell us very little.  All the numbers could be true, and Colorado could still have a higher rate of teenage pregnancy and abortion then Texas.  I don't know if that's true, it's probably not, but you can't draw any real conclusions from that except that Texas has a higher rate of repeat births then Colorado, and that number could be so low as to be inconsequential.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

I have always had an issue with playing games that I find it hard to finish them due to wanting to do everything.  Ive never finished Baldurs Gate 2 or Oblivion or New Vegas due to getting too caught up in sidequests and then eventually having life intrude and drag me away from playing for a while, when I get back to my computer a new game has caught my eye.
I think this same issue also afflicts my actual life. I want to experience everything. But of course can't.
I wonder if shrinks have a name for this branch of my insanity :hmm:
Some sort of cleptomania but for experiences? (of the broad kind. Not trying lots of weird sex stuff and extreme sports and all that)
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on July 24, 2014, 12:37:53 AM

I'm referring to the useless statistics.  I never studied statistics, but I wasn't born yesterday.  All the numbers are relative to unstated numbers and thus tell us very little.  All the numbers could be true, and Colorado could still have a higher rate of teenage pregnancy and abortion then Texas.  I don't know if that's true, it's probably not, but you can't draw any real conclusions from that except that Texas has a higher rate of repeat births then Colorado, and that number could be so low as to be inconsequential.
:yes:

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 24, 2014, 12:37:53 AM

Sure but then presumably we shouldn't draw any conclusions from any "infographics" formulated in meme-style.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on July 24, 2014, 12:01:07 AM
Texas has would have the highest teen birth rate if Ed moved there.

I'd have a ranch.   :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive