And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on July 11, 2014, 12:00:56 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2014, 11:59:42 AM
I am pretty sure they also sang 'aboot' a few times as well.  Those Canadian bastards.
That's another one I've never heard

Okay now you're just taking the piss.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2014, 12:08:45 PM
Okay now you're just taking the piss.
Definitely not. I'm not judging if you're into that but it's not for me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2014, 12:04:29 PM
I demand to see a regional soft drink map for Canada.

Pop from coast to coast
except in Quebec where it's Coke.

2 Solitudes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

How can you not have heard "aboot"?  It may be more subtle than the stereotype, but I've heard it myself from real live Canadians.  Watch five minutes of hockey coverage and you'll hear it multiple times.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Weird on Chesterfield. In the UK that's a particular type of sofa in this shape:
Let's bomb Russia!

Maximus

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2014, 12:15:26 PM
How can you not have heard "aboot"?  It may be more subtle than the stereotype, but I've heard it myself from real live Canadians.  Watch five minutes of hockey coverage and you'll hear it multiple times.
I've heard the Canadian "about" and the American "abowt", neither of which are anything like "aboot".

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2014, 11:17:49 AM
This happened some time ago but I just heard about this.  I blame Tim.

The most embarrassing interview Fox News has ever done?

it's been over a year.  Surely they have done something more embarassing since.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on July 11, 2014, 12:20:24 PM
I've heard the Canadian "about" and the American "abowt", neither of which are anything like "aboot".

Ah, you're playing that game, then.

Savonarola

I sometimes catch my mom (who grew up in Detroit) use the "A-boot" and ending sentences with "Eh?" :Canuck:

My grandfather will do those and sometimes use "You boys" for the plural you.  I've only heard that in the Sault Ste Marie area; but I assume a few generations ago it was widespread in Ontario.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Wait...Sav is Canadian? :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Valmy

Every party I get invited to turns out to be a sausage fest  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2014, 12:51:55 PM
Wait...Sav is Canadian? :weep:

No, but one of my grandmothers was a full-blooded Canadian.  I'm more ethnic than Senator Warren.  :Canuck:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Queen City Sausage Fest?

Gay.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

I think that is something you will only hear in parts of Ontario and perhaps parts of the Maritimes.  You hear it on hockey broadcasts because we are fed an unhealthy does of Maple Leafs games.