News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Is there anything corporations can't do?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on June 30, 2014, 09:28:52 AM
Also http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SUPREME_COURT_BIRTH_CONTROL?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-06-30-10-19-15

QuoteThe court stressed that its ruling applies only to corporations that are under the control of just a few people in which there is no essential difference between the business and its owners, like the Oklahoma-based Hobby Lobby chain of arts-and-craft stores that challenged the provision.

Alito also said the decision is limited to contraceptives under the health care law. "Our decision should not be understood to hold that an insurance-coverage mandate must necessarily fall if it conflicts with an employer's religious beliefs," Alito said.

Do not understand how the second paragraph follows logically from the first. What is so special about contraception? If a closely-held corp can refuse one element of insurance coverage based on the faith of the owners, why can't (say) a corporation owned by a Christian Scientist refuse all coverage of medical care based on the view that disease is a spiritual rather than physical disorder, and that the sick should be treated, not by medicine, but by a form of prayer that seeks to correct the beliefs responsible for the illusion of ill health?  :hmm:

This is a case that has one hell of a slippery slope implication.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

As Yi would say, "The employees can go to different employers then, if they're unhappy." :P

P.S.: I agree with you, Malthus.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 30, 2014, 10:39:36 AM

Yeah that was my reaction.  If this decision is really as broad as the victors are crowing this was an idiotic decision of the highest order.  But I doubt it was that broad.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2014, 12:22:46 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 30, 2014, 10:39:36 AM

Yeah that was my reaction.  If this decision is really as broad as the victors are crowing this was an idiotic decision of the highest order.  But I doubt it was that broad.

Speaking of broads, some feminazis are complaining that the ruling was only limited to contraceptives.  I guess with the implication that the Patriarchy was targeting women with this egregious ruling.

garbon

QuoteComing Up: President Obama explains decision to bypass Congress on immigration policy
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I seriously wonder when my life will stop being in sync with school years.
When do years mentally begin and end for everyone? at the proper new year? Financial year?
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

It has never stopped being in sync from the school year for me. Too much of life revolves around it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

By the time I can remember to write the correct year on checks and such; usually around February.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Tyr on June 30, 2014, 10:41:02 PM
I seriously wonder when my life will stop being in sync with school years.
When do years mentally begin and end for everyone? at the proper new year? Financial year?

Mine stopped in my second year of undergrad, when I started going year-round. :P

My years divide right on the calendar boundary, because of my annual pilgrimage to South Florida from Christmas to New Years.