News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Love the little leg kick
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on June 19, 2014, 07:46:08 PM
The concern with nuclear, whether real of perceived, is the threat of a really, really catastrophic accident that releases a great deal of radioactive waste into a fluid like the air or water, spreading contamination over a vast area and essentially rendering that area uninhabitable, causing tens of trillions of dollars in damage.  I can't actually speak to how plausible this is, but that is the fear.

The concern with hydro is the threat of a mildly catastrophic accident where some people die immediately and hundreds of millions to tens of billions of dollars in damage occur.  Who gives a shit?

Yes, people have an irrational fear of radioactivity.

Ideologue

Quote from: frunk on June 19, 2014, 08:21:51 PM
The concern with nuclear, whether real of perceived, is the threat of a really, really catastrophic accident that releases a great deal of radioactive waste into a fluid like the air or water, spreading contamination over a vast area and essentially rendering that area uninhabitable, causing tens of trillions of dollars in damage.  I can't actually speak to how plausible this is, but that is the fear.

The concern with hydro is the threat of a mildly catastrophic accident where some people die immediately and hundreds of millions to tens of billions of dollars in damage occur.  Who gives a shit?

Chernobyl and Fukushima are about the worst case scenarios, and neither have been even close to as catastrophic as Banqiao Dam.  Nuclear reactors are not nuclear bombs.  Wide dispersal of radioactive material means that the concentration is lower at any given point, making it less dangerous.  It's the immediate area that has the greatest danger.

I meant an accident involving a waste repository rather than an active reactor.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on June 20, 2014, 03:45:51 AM
Quote from: frunk on June 19, 2014, 08:21:51 PM

Chernobyl and Fukushima are about the worst case scenarios, and neither have been even close to as catastrophic as Banqiao Dam.  Nuclear reactors are not nuclear bombs.  Wide dispersal of radioactive material means that the concentration is lower at any given point, making it less dangerous.  It's the immediate area that has the greatest danger.

I meant an accident involving a waste repository rather than an active reactor.

Then it's even more insane.

Josquius

I'm getting forgetful in my old age. Bought some nuggets and a drink at McDonald's.... Completely failed to remember to take my drink wth me when I left
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Erdogan's visit to Vienna was mostly peaceful. 13,000 gathered to see him talk, 8,000 participated in rallies against him.

He did his usual spiel, calling for integration but not assimilation. He irked many Austrian commentators when he called the Turks in Vienna "the grandchildren of Süleyman the Magnificent and Kara Mustafa" (who commanded the sieges of 1529 and 1683 respectively).

(He did add that no one in Vienna needs to be afraid of the Turks today, though.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on June 20, 2014, 04:17:37 AM
Erdogan's visit to Vienna was mostly peaceful. 13,000 gathered to see him talk, 8,000 participated in rallies against him.

He did his usual spiel, calling for integration but not assimilation. He irked many Austrian commentators when he called the Turks in Vienna "the grandchildren of Süleyman the Magnificent and Kara Mustafa" (who commanded the sieges of 1529 and 1683 respectively).

(He did add that no one in Vienna needs to be afraid of the Turks today, though.)

Mostly peaceful as in only minor clashes or cars burnt?
I thought most Turks in Vienna were pro-Erdogan so that's a good surprise cf. Hagia Sophia Star Wars controversy.
It's a bit contradictory but he's improving!   :lol: Or maybe it's an example of taqqiya, Erdogan-style.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 20, 2014, 06:09:16 AMOr maybe it's an example of taqqiya, Erdogan-style.
Isn't that just him being a politician? :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

I happened upon a commercial for Android Wear. It's going to be the new Bluetooth headset, nobody is ever going to hold their wrists up and say "Reply: 'Be there in 2'" out loud in a commuter train. Well, someone definitely will, but they'll rightly be look at like the idiots they are.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

sbr

Quote from: Tyr on June 20, 2014, 01:59:20 AM
Love the little leg kick

I didn't notice that the first time.  :D

Admiral Yi

The five dudes convicted in the Central Park jogger case had their sentences vacated.  A serial rapist who's DNA matched confessed to the crime.  NYC is settling for $40 million.  From NPR.

Eddie Teach

If the victim was gang-raped, why would that exonerate them? If not, why so many convictions?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Not sure.  I vaguely recall the jogger got her head bashed in, went into a coma and had no memory??