The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 19, 2014, 12:54:00 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 19, 2014, 10:56:17 AM
Stupid Ségolène and Greens.

Fixed!
The bill will not pass or will be emasculated. It's not like Hollande has billions to spend to finance this transition. The CGT (trade union linked to the Commies) and the nuclear lobby will unite against it if necessary.
I've said before and I'll say it again, thank God for the Communists.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on June 19, 2014, 01:09:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 19, 2014, 12:56:25 PM
Why are dams more likely to be built near fault lines?  Did someone forget to tell the Japanese that?

There's no requirement to site a nuclear plant in a given location apart from being close to what it is supplying power to.  Locations for dams are dependent on geography, and where there are fault lines are frequently good locations for dams.

I'm not sure what the Japanese have to do with it.

The Japanese built all their nuclear reactors near fault lines  ;)

iirc none of the hydro projects in BC are built near a fault line (unless you take the position everything in BC is near a fault line)  ie rivers do not need to track fault lines.  It would indeed be problematic if they did.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on June 19, 2014, 01:18:20 PM
Unfortunately masses of water suddenly released are much more dangerous than radiation.

I dont think so unless one plans a hydro project without planning to be able to release water in an emergency.  Radiation on the other hand cannot be channeled or controlled the way water can.  No radiation can be released - or at least that is the plan  :P

frunk

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 19, 2014, 02:44:57 PM
The Japanese built all their nuclear reactors near fault lines  ;)

iirc none of the hydro projects in BC are built near a fault line (unless you take the position everything in BC is near a fault line)  ie rivers do not need to track fault lines.  It would indeed be problematic if they did.

All of Japan is a series of fault lines.  The Fukushima reactor problems weren't caused by being near a fault line, it was being near the water and getting hit with a tsunami that flooded the backup power generators.  Not to mention the longer term problems of corruption and falsification of safety records/warnings.  Similar problems occurred with many other dam disasters.  The issue as always isn't with the particular technology, rather that it is used correctly and government/private laziness or corruption doesn't undermine it.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 19, 2014, 02:51:02 PM
Unfortunately masses of water suddenly released are much more dangerous than radiation.

I dont think so unless one plans a hydro project without planning to be able to release water in an emergency.  Radiation on the other hand cannot be channeled or controlled the way water can.  No radiation can be released - or at least that is the plan  :P

Unfortunately facts don't support your position.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on June 19, 2014, 03:05:16 PM

You are correct.  Radiation is in fact released contrary to the plan

The Brain

Fun info: in the nuclear community Japan had a pretty poor safety rep long before Fukushima. The huge Tepco scandal in 2002, the criticality accident in 1999...

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 19, 2014, 03:08:02 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 19, 2014, 03:05:16 PM

You are correct.  Radiation is in fact released contrary to the plan

Do you even know yourself what you're talking about?

The Brain

Do you actually think that dam failures are planned events?

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on June 19, 2014, 03:14:08 PM

No but preventing one can be planned.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 19, 2014, 03:16:41 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 19, 2014, 03:14:08 PM

Thanks for playing.

frunk

And nuclear power plant accidents can't be?  I'm not sure what your point is.

Iormlund

Radiation on the other hand cannot be channeled or controlled the way water can.

:huh:
We channel and control radiation all the time.

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on June 19, 2014, 03:20:01 PM

And nuclear power plant accidents can't be?  I'm not sure what your point is.

The thing that causes failure of a dam can be released.  Not so easy with a nuclear power plant.

frunk

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 19, 2014, 03:30:40 PM

The thing that causes failure of a dam can be released.  Not so easy with a nuclear power plant.

It's actually easier with a nuclear power plant since they are designed to be as closed systems as possible.  You can't do that with a dam, it is intentionally exposed to the elements.