News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 11, 2014, 08:56:36 AM
I loved the kraut who lectured me about Evil Amerikkka. While being interviewed by me to come to America to work a bit in stateside offices.

What a maroon.
Did he pass?

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on June 11, 2014, 08:57:35 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 11, 2014, 08:56:36 AM
I loved the kraut who lectured me about Evil Amerikkka. While being interviewed by me to come to America to work a bit in stateside offices.

What a maroon.
Did he pass?

Not a chance.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

I'm loving the footage of the European taxi drivers freaking out over Uber.

We must protect our molopolah!!!!   :lmfao:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 11, 2014, 12:14:50 PM

I'm really concerned about the safety implications of inventions like Uber.  When you take a cab ride, you know you're getting into a vehicle driven by a maniac with poor driving skills.  Can you still have that level of certainty with carpooling?

The Larch

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 11, 2014, 12:14:50 PM

Apparently Uber is now the top downloaded app in Europe today. Great advertising for them.  :lol:

Btw, you'll be hard pressed to find a group as despised as taxi drivers over here, they have negative sympathy almost universally.

Syt

Taxi services can be rather overpriced over here. Also, taxi drivers often don't earn very well. The companies are skimming off a lot of money, though. So yeah, of course they'll be reluctant to favor a product that costs less and probably leaves more money to the drivers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: The Larch on June 11, 2014, 12:25:36 PM
Btw, you'll be hard pressed to find a group as despised as taxi drivers over here, they have negative sympathy almost universally.

Regular taxis usually smell bad.  Uber & Lyft cars tend to be nice & clean in my experience.  Also like paying via the app.  And the 10 free rides I got to start out with :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Taxis is not an industry governments should protect.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on June 11, 2014, 12:25:36 PM
Interesting. Seems to be a fair bit of sympathy for them in London, as well as a sad awareness that they're probably a dying breed now.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on June 11, 2014, 08:46:02 AM
Quote from: Zanza on June 11, 2014, 03:40:51 AM
If I had a choice between various countries to go to as an expat, the US wouldn't be among the top ten countries I guess. It's just not as attractive as some other places.

Oh yeah? Well Germany wouldn't make my top 20.
:mellow: I don't care.

Zanza

We'll have self-driving cars in about five years. No one will need taxis or Uber then.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on June 11, 2014, 02:09:51 PM
We'll have self-driving cars in about five years. No one will need taxis or Uber then.

The taxi drivers will go out on strike to protest.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

People who don't own cars and travelers will still seek private transportation with customizable routing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 11, 2014, 02:14:38 PM

People who don't own cars and travelers will still seek private transportation with customizable routing.
I am sure the self-driving cars will have a GPS system to find their way to whatever destination you specify. There will still be taxis, but there won't be drivers anymore. It will just be a rather capital-intensive business to provide a large, convenient fleet of cars. I guess car rental companies like Avis etc., automotive companies or carsharing companies like ZipCar will be best positioned as they know how to manage a big fleet of cars and have the capital to lease that fleet. The advantage of Uber is the size of its network, meaning it has quite a lot of professional and amateur drivers so customers easily find a car on Uber. That advantage is negated if Toyota/Avis/Zipcar just puts 1,000 driverless cars in a city and provides the appropriate app to order them.