And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Iormlund on May 26, 2014, 12:05:10 PM
:lol:
That's absolutely retarded. What the fuck is wrong with HR departments over there?

Looking in their online applicant tracking systems for the little box that says "Project Management Certification" checked off.

Zanza

I work in a big company and from what I hear, the team leads in my department get completely unqualified people all the time from HR. Like some guy from the assembly line applying for a job as an IT project manager. Or some Chinese guy applying in broken English for a job with a German description. So HR doesn't seem to filter too much even in big companies.

Ideologue

See?  That's the power of STEM training.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2014, 12:07:53 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on May 26, 2014, 12:05:10 PM
:lol:
That's absolutely retarded. What the fuck is wrong with HR departments over there?
They're inventing jobs for HR people to do once they leave HR :lol:

Also: Cal :contract:

HR operatives don't have jobs, they have proto-empires.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Iormlund on May 26, 2014, 12:18:00 PM
A guy in HR sees my CV and thinks: no degree, close to 40. An engineer sees I spent the last 7 years at one of the best integrators in the north of Spain and have a ridiculous amount of experience.

Guess which one gets to pick the lucky candidate over here?

That's why we have so many unemployed yet qualified professionals and so many companies screaming how they can't find qualified applicants at the exact same time.  :lol:

Iormlund

Quote from: Zanza on May 26, 2014, 12:21:45 PM
I work in a big company and from what I hear, the team leads in my department get completely unqualified people all the time from HR. Like some guy from the assembly line applying for a job as an IT project manager. Or some Chinese guy applying in broken English for a job with a German description. So HR doesn't seem to filter too much even in big companies.

Well then I don't get it.

I've applied for jobs were I was without the shadow of a doubt the best qualified candidate, because I had actual experience doing the exact same thing at major customers and there can't be 3 guys with my profile in the whole country (it's kind of eclectic). Yet the phone didn't ring even once.

Then I finally manage to set up an interview through work contacts (thank Hod for those). And it goes like this: 'Oh, I see you spent the last 7 years at *******!'. And that's it. I'm in. In fact, everyone's reaction is the same, from the big boss to the lowliest programmer*: 'Oh, you worked at ******, welcome aboard!'.

* Except the interns of course, poor guys don't know shit.

Josephus

Found this in my inbox at work today

hi I was born in tunisia
  like our mother
our father is born in lybia but they met themselves in tunisia
during the last war (my father was soldier for France)
  they echanged a lot of letters
I've written a book about their love story with historic evenements
are you interessting  by this book ?

Now, I'm thinking it's probably not a well-written book.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2014, 11:53:49 AM
Make sure you look into PM certifications. 

I didn't bother getting certified in Project Management because I was too busy Managing Projects, so now I can't get a job that entails Project Management because I have no paperwork from some authoritative-sounding Institute of Project Management testifying that I can do what I've already done.

PMI FTW :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Glad to see you've got your Douchebag certs in order from both the Institute of Douchebags and the Douchebag Institute.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josephus on May 26, 2014, 12:39:56 PM
Found this in my inbox at work today

hi I was born in tunisia
  like our mother
our father is born in lybia but they met themselves in tunisia
during the last war (my father was soldier for France)
  they echanged a lot of letters
I've written a book about their love story with historic evenements
are you interessting  by this book ?

Now, I'm thinking it's probably not a well-written book.
I got a chain letter from Don DeLillo. Dreadful prose.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2014, 12:20:54 PM
Looking in their online applicant tracking systems for the little box that says "Project Management Certification" checked off.
Yep. I've known a few people who insist HR send all CVs to them because they know what they're looking for whereas HR are normally just looking for reasons to dismiss an application.

I've often thought that HR are the single biggest problem we have. They are to the West what homosexuality was to the Romans <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

http://time.com/110079/nude-naked-photos-germany-delete/
QuoteIn Germany, You Can No Longer Keep Nude Photos of Your Ex

When you split with your partner, you have the right to demand that all intimate images they have of you be deleted, a German court ruled this week. The court found that one person's right of privacy was more important than another person's ownership rights to intimate photos taken during the relationship

Ex-partners must delete all intimate or nude photos if one of the partners asks for it, a German court ruled Tuesday.

The case had been brought by a woman in central Germany who demanded that her partner, a photographer, delete all intimate photos of her after the couple split.

During the course of the relationship, the photographer had made several erotic videos and taken many naked pics of the woman with her consent.

A higher court in Koblenz decided that she had the right to demand the material be deleted, because her personal rights were more important than his ownership rights to the material, theLocal reported.

However, the court rejected the woman's demand that her ex delete all photos taken of her, as it said that clothed pics had "little, if any capacity" to compromise her privacy.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2014, 01:04:21 PM
I got a chain letter from Don DeLillo. Dreadful prose.

HEY NOW

Sheilbh

Clive James is very ill. He had a form of leukemia and I recently heard him talking about his new translation of Dante. He talked about the other illnesses that were creeping in and that he doesn't have long left. But he's still working, see the just-published new Divine Comedy, and this beautiful, poignant essay on poetry:
http://www.the-tls.co.uk/tls/public/article1410176.ece

He'll be hugely missed :(
Let's bomb Russia!