News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

How does countries with grammar genders assign gender to new nouns? I've recently seen "selfie" get the neutrum when it clearly sounds like it should be in common gender. :mad:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on May 21, 2014, 12:53:57 PM
How does countries with grammar genders assign gender to new nouns? I've recently seen "selfie" get the neutrum when it clearly sounds like it should be in common gender. :mad:

French has a committee to do that.  But they do tend to take English words and make them masculine, probably as a reflection of the amazing manliness and virility of the English speaking world.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I think in German it'd be neuter. Das Selfie sounds right. (Photo and Picture are also neuter in German.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Germans have been neutered since 1945.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2014, 12:56:56 PM
Quote from: Liep on May 21, 2014, 12:53:57 PM

French has a committee to do that.  But they do tend to take English words and make them masculine, probably as a reflection of the amazing manliness and virility of the English speaking world.

Wow. Are you part of the academy, Valmy?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 21, 2014, 01:43:27 PM
Wow. Are you part of the academy, Valmy?

I wish :weep:

But actually I was only talking about France French here.  I am sure Haitians, Senegalese, Quebecois and company all do it in a more organic way.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

We head to the word of the Academy with scorn & loathing and then properly make up a real french word for it.

Example: Email/Courriel.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

But surely words come into use before the Academy can get their claws on it.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 21, 2014, 01:49:51 PM
We head to the word of the Academy with scorn & loathing and then properly make up a real french word for it.

Example: Email/Courriel.

Saucy Quebec has nothing but scorn and loathing for anybody who pretends to have authority over them.  I like your style.

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on May 21, 2014, 01:55:00 PM

Generally yes.  The Academy is sort of like the OED only their words are backed by Nuclear Weapons...er....I mean the French government.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2014, 01:56:38 PM

Generally yes.  The Academy is sort of like the OED only their words are backed by Nuclear Weapons...er....I mean the French government.

You clearly do not understand the behind the scene powers the OED commands.  :ph34r: :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on May 21, 2014, 01:10:10 PM
I think in German it'd be neuter. Das Selfie sounds right. (Photo and Picture are also neuter in German.)

German should STFU ever since it introduced "Handy". Worst word ever.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on May 21, 2014, 02:16:44 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2014, 01:56:38 PM

You clearly do not understand the behind the scene powers the OED commands.  :ph34r: :bowler:

Does the OED really control American English? Hard to believe they are in control of anyone if they let items like selfie and staycation become words.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on May 21, 2014, 02:18:29 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 21, 2014, 01:10:10 PM

German should STFU ever since it introduced "Handy". Worst word ever.

Handy, or Mr. Hands?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius