News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2014, 11:16:44 AM
Interesting that Louisiana still has a French thing going to the extent it still is more widely spoken than Spanish.

I get the impression that a lot of folks down there pretend to speak it more than actually speak it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2014, 10:59:29 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 14, 2014, 10:13:26 AM
Surprising to see a lot of German still lingering

Amish/Mennonites :contract:
Yeah, but I don't think Pennsylvania Dutch should be considered 'German'.  Cultural rapists!  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 14, 2014, 11:38:01 AMYeah, but I don't think Pennsylvania Dutch should be considered 'German'.  Cultural rapists!  :mad:

Well they sure as heck aren't Dutch.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2014, 11:42:05 AM
I'm talking about their language, not their culture/ethnicity.  The cultural rapists thing was a joke but the first part wasn't. :sleep:

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2014, 11:23:27 AM
Interesting that Louisiana still has a French thing going to the extent it still is more widely spoken than Spanish.

I get the impression that a lot of folks down there pretend to speak it more than actually speak it.

What gave you that impression?

That's French for go!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 14, 2014, 11:42:47 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2014, 11:42:05 AM
I'm talking about their language, not their culture/ethnicity.  The cultural rapists thing was a joke but the first part wasn't. :sleep:

It always amazes me how so many people assume the Pennsylvania Dutch have anything to do with the Netherlands.  Granted the name is pretty misleading.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2014, 11:43:36 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2014, 11:23:27 AM

What gave you that impression?

That's French for go!

:lol: Cajun's.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2014, 10:27:17 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 14, 2014, 10:22:37 AM
It's not a crime to be unemployed.

Gaps in employment history do raise red flags with some employers.

Yep.  It's why I haven't taken my JD off my resume--I have no idea what to say I did for three years.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Tell them you were fighting in the Syrian Civil War.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2014, 11:45:25 AM
It always amazes me how so many people assume the Pennsylvania Dutch have anything to do with the Netherlands.  Granted the name is pretty misleading.
Imagine being me as a kind and finding out I had both Dutch AND Pennsylvania Dutch ancestry. :unsure:

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2014, 11:54:20 AM
Tell them you were fighting in the Syrian Civil War.

I could tell my next potential employer I spent half a year in Camp X-Ray.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Just tell them what almost every black dude I interviewed back in the day when I was a recruiter told me about their employment gaps:

1.  "I was working as a record producer at that time"
2.  "I had some bidness in Atlanta I had to take care of"

Ideologue

"I can't really talk about it by law.  But I've fallen out of practice with my Arabic."

"Yeah, but my dad finally passed in 2011.  In some ways, it was a relief."

"You can make a lot of money in NYC city when you're a young man and weigh 150 pounds."
Kinemalogue

Valmy

What exactly is a gap in work history supposed to red flag?  Suspicion you might be a housewife?

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on May 14, 2014, 12:23:24 PM
"You can make a lot of money in NYC city when you're a young man and weigh 150 pounds."

:lol:

Everybody's talking at me... :alberta:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock