News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2014, 12:29:35 PM
What exactly is a gap in work history supposed to red flag?  Suspicion you might be a housewife?
You were in jail, you had a drug problem, etc.

Of course it could also mean that you just had trouble finding a job, but for some reason a lot of people think it has to be something deeper and more mysterious.  In my experience the people that jump to these conclusions are people who have never been unemployed in their lives. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PRC

Here is that language map for Canada:

Caliga

Quote from: Savonarola on May 14, 2014, 12:32:10 PM
:lol:

Everybody's talking at me... :alberta:
I like that part where the dude died on the bus. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maximus

Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2014, 10:59:29 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 14, 2014, 10:13:26 AM
Surprising to see a lot of German still lingering

Amish/Mennonites :contract:
There were a lot of German immigrants to the americas during the 19th century besides Amish and Mennonites.

Many of the ones in North America stopped using that language sometime between 1915 and 1945 for some reason.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2014, 10:27:17 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 14, 2014, 10:22:37 AM
It's not a crime to be unemployed.

Gaps in employment history do raise red flags with some employers.

Yes, like gaps due to unemployment. :lol:

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on May 14, 2014, 12:34:05 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2014, 10:59:29 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 14, 2014, 10:13:26 AM
Surprising to see a lot of German still lingering

Amish/Mennonites :contract:
There were a lot of German immigrants to the americas during the 19th century besides Amish and Mennonites.

Many of the ones in North America stopped using that language sometime between 1915 and 1945 for some reason.

Yep.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2014, 12:39:08 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2014, 10:27:17 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 14, 2014, 10:22:37 AM
It's not a crime to be unemployed.

Gaps in employment history do raise red flags with some employers.

Yes, like gaps due to unemployment. :lol:

:huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on May 14, 2014, 12:32:36 PM
Here is that language map for Canada:

The map doesn't make clear that Inuktitut is actually the most widely spoken language in nunavut.  English is only #2.

I would've guessed punjabi was #2 in Alberta, but Chinese would have been my second choice.

-huh, looked it up.  Punjabi is up there, but Tagalog would be #3.  Also makes sense.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 14, 2014, 12:49:45 PM
The map doesn't make clear that Inuktitut is actually the most widely spoken language in nunavut.  English is only #2.

I would've guessed punjabi was #2 in Alberta, but Chinese would have been my second choice.

-huh, looked it up.  Punjabi is up there, but Tagalog would be #3.  Also makes sense.

I am pretty sure that map assumes that English and French are #1 and #2.  Surely Tagalog would not be spoken more than Canada's official language.

I do like how about a 1,000 speakers is all you need in some of those provinces.  Oh how worldly PEI must be.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2014, 12:51:53 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 14, 2014, 12:49:45 PM

I am pretty sure that map assumes that English and French are #1 and #2.  Surely Tagalog would not be spoken more than Canada's official language.

I do like how about a 1,000 speakers is all you need in some of those provinces.  Oh how worldly PEI must be.

I'm looking at the Stats Can data for Edmonton (couldn't find all of Alberta) - Chinese, Tagalog and Punjabi all have more speakers than French.  French does come out ahead of Spanish and Arabic, which I wouldn't have predicted.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

What exactly is a gap in work history supposed to red flag?  Suspicion you might be a housewife?
It's human nature.  If you're taking a subway, the train comes, and you see that 7 cars are full, and 1 car is completely empty, you will be very wary of stepping inside that empty car.  Even if you step in, look around, and don't see anything,  you will still suspect that there must be something wrong there, or it wouldn't be empty.  It's an individually rational conclusion.  Of course, the problem is that if everyone is perfectly individually rational like that, then you can have an empty car with absolutely nothing wrong in it inside.

garbon

Well except that the empty subway car is almost always the one that doesn't have heat or a/c, has pee in it and/or has a very fragrant homeless person in it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Well, I didn't say it was fair.  But I'm guessing it may raise some suspicion that the person in question isn't responsible enough to keep a job, was lazy in finding new employment, or had something wrong with them that kept previous potential employers from hiring them.

MadImmortalMan

Does anyone follow conventions for games and stuff? Because I saw a lot of people walking around San Francisco yesterday wearing N7 logo gear.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers