And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 13, 2014, 06:23:15 PM
Crack houses have gone upmarket.

It isn't really a crack house, but I wonder what is going to happen. This place became condos in the later 90s, and some of the units were selling in the $140s. Not exactly a top line condo price, but 15-20 years ago not chump change either.

Once the newness wore off, they settled in to the $120-130 range. Then 2008 came. I thought I bought at a great buying opportunity when prices started to fall and got in at $98, but then the world collapsed.

The amenities and services provided haven't changed from when I moved in, and I don't think are in line with the expectations of people buying a condo at $40k (or renting from someone who just bought at $40k, though supposedly we restrict that).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

11B4V

Wall of Scotch broom is gone. Makes for better fields of fire.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

and it's a dog's life bitches.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

I would call him an ol' lazy ass West Virginia porch dog, but that would obviously entail getting off the sofa.  :lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on May 13, 2014, 05:03:45 PM
$1200 for a new water heater...I'm getting ripped off. Two guys came out to do it for $950 but wouldn't work because my place apparently isn't up to code.

It is like $450 in the store...I'm almost inclined to try to do the install myself, but I forsee a mega disaster.

I could see you trying to roll it over your foot.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 13, 2014, 10:02:59 AM
Seedy luvs government waste.

Stop hating America and not supporting our troops.

Sheilbh

Where I used to live the police community outreach team handed out leaflets to let us know that one of the places on our street had been given a 'crack house closure order'. I was surprised that was a specific order.

We also used to have problems with dog fights pretty regularly :bleeding:

When we left the rent per room was increased to £600 a month.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Weird the conversation has gone into this. Just before checking languish I was thinking about the practicalities of buying a flat. even went as far as checking prices :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on May 13, 2014, 06:32:04 PM

It isn't really a crack house, but I wonder what is going to happen. This place became condos in the later 90s, and some of the units were selling in the $140s. Not exactly a top line condo price, but 15-20 years ago not chump change either.

Once the newness wore off, they settled in to the $120-130 range. Then 2008 came. I thought I bought at a great buying opportunity when prices started to fall and got in at $98, but then the world collapsed.

The amenities and services provided haven't changed from when I moved in, and I don't think are in line with the expectations of people buying a condo at $40k (or renting from someone who just bought at $40k, though supposedly we restrict that).

Condo HOAs are notorious for running on for years and not doing all the maintenance they should. Then one day, oh shit we need to replace all the roofs, rate hike!

And the evil bastards have first lien for eternity too. Which makes it harder for condo owners to get the values to go up, since banks are less likely to loan to their buyers.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

In my Anchorage house search (if I feel arsed enough to buy over rent), I keep being tempted by condos (mostly due to price/location)...but then I read about the downsides and start looking at single-family homes again.

That and having my place potentially burn down because someone else is a dumbass (this seems to happen a lot in Alaska)?  No thanks, I'd rather it be, at most, my own stupidity that burns my place down.   :P

Grey Fox

Condos, 21st century biggest lie.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

lying on a cv- is is true that everyone does it to some extent?
I'm having thoughts....
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on May 14, 2014, 07:30:49 AM
lying on a cv- is is true that everyone does it to some extent?
I'm having thoughts....

How so?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

The flight path of the man from Saudi Arabia who came with MERS to the US. That looks like a terrible, terrible set of flights.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 13, 2014, 11:14:39 PM
Condo HOAs are notorious for running on for years and not doing all the maintenance they should. Then one day, oh shit we need to replace all the roofs, rate hike!

And the evil bastards have first lien for eternity too. Which makes it harder for condo owners to get the values to go up, since banks are less likely to loan to their buyers.

I have nothing against my HOA. They are in an ugly situation where longer term owners bought in with one level of service, but new owners are buying in at prices so that their dues are a good bit more than their mortgage. Also a lot of longer term owners are brutally underwater and when they move have to walk away, which isn't good for dues collection. Also, the builder seems to have done a really shitty job and the units have lots of issues.

In other news, I'm convinced the $1200 price was fair now. It took two guys over 4.5 hours to install. They said there were lots of issues before they started and I was skeptical, but they were working hard too. I suspect it would have taken me a month.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014