News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Every time I hear on the news about the kidnapping of Nigerian girls by Boko Haram, I get A Lighter Shade of Pale stuck in my head.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

I voted today-- twice :menace:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 06, 2014, 11:16:56 AM

If only there was a voter ID law to keep this from happening.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2014, 12:06:23 PM

All such laws are racist.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2014, 12:06:23 PM

I was going to say - I guess that's how he knows it is a real problem.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

It's all legal, guys.  I just tell my wife what boxes to fill in.

Ideologue

You don't see that many immigrants voting for the American Party.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on May 06, 2014, 12:25:04 PM

This, guys, is why single women vote so differently than married ones.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 06, 2014, 01:07:55 PM

This one example of a wife letting her husband decide how she votes holds true universally?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 06, 2014, 01:07:55 PM

Agreed, if a women is married to a dumbass she will most likely vote opposite to what the dumbass says even if the party she is voting for doesnt deserve her vote.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on May 06, 2014, 01:09:56 PM

This one example of a wife letting her husband decide how she votes holds true universally?

Probably
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 06, 2014, 10:20:02 AM
Every time I hear on the news about the kidnapping of Nigerian girls by Boko Haram, I get A Lighter Shade of Pale stuck in my head.  :(

:lol:

I was thinking eactly the same thing

derspiess

Quote from: Ideologue on May 06, 2014, 12:29:18 PM
You don't see that many immigrants voting for the American Party.

They didn't have a primary in Ohio, sadly.  Anywho, for our GOP ballot, only like 2 or 3 races were contested.  As for the ballot issues, on Issue 1 we grudgingly voted yes for Ohio to continue selling bonds for infrastructure improvement.  And we voted yes to renew the county tax levy to help retarded people.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 06, 2014, 01:09:56 PM

It's a gender-specific role thingy.

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2014, 07:12:07 AM
Today I have a consultant originally from Cluj coming in to the office.  Should I take him to: a blood bank for lunch. :cool:

If Tamas was here, I guess I'd let him beat the dude up too. :)
I took him out to lunch (Mexican, not a blood bank), and check this out:  I didn't bring up Dracula... he did :lol:

I forget how the conversation started but basically he started by saying how great Wallachia was because they were the only country in the Balkans to defeat the Turks... even though they had to pay tribute they weren't actually conquered. :sleep:

He was shocked when I was able to keep up with him on the history of this era and then said "Then you probably know Vlad Tepes was a great ruler and not a monster as most Western people say!"  I was like "Umm, but he impaled people and all that" and he said "Yes, but he was fair and did it to everyone, boyar or not.  If you were a bad person, you got spiked, period."  He also told me the story (which I already knew) about how Vlad kept a golden cup at a well and travelers marveled how it was never stolen, because everyone was too terrified of Vlad to dare take it.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points