News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I thought everyone in Europe smoked.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

They did in 1960. Just like everybody in America.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: PDH on May 04, 2014, 07:24:27 PM
See, I got lost when you said a customer being tortured is bad.

A glimpse into the inner depths of the college professor.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

It's so pervasive. I never became a smoker just because I couldn't stand that. Maybe a good thing. Also maybe a good thing that marijuana never gave me any good buzz.  :P

If only beer had been gross and I'd been born asexual I'd have no vices.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2014, 07:12:08 PM
Employees presumably have a vested interest in the continued existence of their employer, and hence their jobs.

No, they don't. Not anymore. Employers took that away when they started raising CEOs salary and shareholver value at faster rate than them.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 04, 2014, 08:51:51 PM
LOL, "exorbitant demands".  When you swallow your own bullshit, do you use a hose directly or is it more of a scoop-as-you-go thing?

Totally awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 04, 2014, 09:12:25 PM
Presumably a Union can make non-exorbitant demands.  If a Union was to get greedy and eventually destroy itself, I would agree that would not be a bad thing.  But then I would say "Greed", is the problem not the Union.  After all many, many companies have been destroyed by the greed of their owners or upper management.  Almost certainly more then ones that have been destroyed by a greedy union.  I can agree that "Greed" is a bad thing.

You can anything you want to, but that doesn't change the fact that one worker who makes an exorbitant wage demand can't kill a company, but a union that does can.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2014, 07:10:16 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 04, 2014, 09:12:25 PM
Presumably a Union can make non-exorbitant demands.  If a Union was to get greedy and eventually destroy itself, I would agree that would not be a bad thing.  But then I would say "Greed", is the problem not the Union.  After all many, many companies have been destroyed by the greed of their owners or upper management.  Almost certainly more then ones that have been destroyed by a greedy union.  I can agree that "Greed" is a bad thing.

You can anything you want to, but that doesn't change the fact that one worker who makes an exorbitant wage demand can't kill a company, but a union that does can.
Lots of things can kill the company.  On the management level, often a very small number of people can indeed kill the company without organizing.  Hell, they can kill a whole lot of workers in cold blood, for that matter.  That would not be in the workers' interests either.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2014, 07:06:21 AM
No, they don't. Not anymore. Employers took that away when they started raising CEOs salary and shareholver value at faster rate than them.

You don't want your current job to continue to exist?  Then what are doing still in it?

Syt

Kraftwerk are giving a series of concerts at the Vienna Burgtheater; each concert will be one of their album releases (in total 7 or 8). I failed to get any tickets (or rather: I'm not willing to pay 65.- for the ticket classes that are still available). :( I may try and get tickets to a Congolese troupe's interpretation of Verdi's MacBeth instead.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Kraftwerk are coming to a festival in Japan this summer. I am very very tempted despite it being a stadium based affair and nobody I know being interested.
I'm just praying they don't do a stupid thing and put them on at the same time as The Horrors.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2014, 07:16:08 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2014, 07:06:21 AM

You don't want your current job to continue to exist?  Then what are doing still in it?

I do but no matter what I do, how I perform or how much salary I ask. If my employer decides to shut me down, I'll be shut down.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.