And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

I see. And why were unions a bad thing again?  :hmm:

Ideologue

They stood in the way of rich people making money.  Also sometimes they extracted some ridiculous, costly concessions that destroyed companies and the jobs they were supposed to advocate for along with them.  But mainly the first thing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Norgy

Right. I forgot how unions destroy countries.

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on February 22, 2014, 09:41:47 AM
Oops, I was giving myself my weekly moustache and beard trim this morning and, using the wrong attachment, took a huge chunk of the side of my moustache off.  Since the Hitler look isn't really in anymore, I ended up shaving my moustache and goatee off completely as I couldn't figure out any other way to correct the problem, leaving me cleanshaven for the first time since I was a teenager.

Since I now resemble Randy Quaid, I think I'll be growing my facial hair back ASAP.  :Embarrass:
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

My regenerated moustache, which I have not trimmed since the incident above, is so long now I can (with wax) shape it into a handlebar. :cool:  Princesca officially Does Not Approve (TM) of this look however. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Norgy on May 03, 2014, 07:40:04 AM

Because they render the companies they work for uncompetitive.

Unless they're public sector unions, in which case they simply extract more tax revenue.

Razgovory

Quote from: Norgy on May 03, 2014, 07:54:44 AM
Right. I forgot how unions destroy countries.

Didn't do the People's Republic of Poland any good.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2014, 10:46:40 AM
Quote from: Norgy on May 03, 2014, 07:40:04 AM

Because they render the companies they work for uncompetitive.

The studies I've read do not support that claim. However, an absence of organised labour does boost corporate profits.
I suppose much depends on whether unions are closed-shop, militant or interested in cooperation. Most of us have experienced unions that have gone out of their way to organise wild strikes and make outrageous demands.

I have a feeling American unions operate differently from Norwegian ones.

Admiral Yi

Without a doubt.

"We can give you a 3% raise this year."

Scandiunion: "Sounds good."

Yankiunion: "Then we want 6."

Liep

The speaker in the commercial for Israels tourist board pronounce Jerusalem as Jewrusalem.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2014, 08:32:06 PM
My guess is if you took a look at a long term graph of labor force participation it would not track that closely with economic good times.  For example, the large scale entry of women into the work force had next to nothing to do with increased economic activity.
Also the impact of baby boomers retiring (or old people getting back into work) will have little to do with how the economy's doing.

QuoteWhat did the Irish do to Dorne? :unsure:
It's now the Isle of Man.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Paying employees also makes a company less competitive.  So does the lack chains to shackle them to their work stations.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on May 04, 2014, 02:18:34 AM
Paying employees also makes a company less competitive.

Uhhh you are contradicting a hundred years of competitive wisdom here.  ;)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 04, 2014, 02:18:34 AM
Paying employees also makes a company less competitive.  So does the lack chains to shackle them to their work stations.

As does the inability to torture people who don't buy your product, or the inability to murder your competitors.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

This last train business is such a pain. One of those things I never realised before moving towards true Greater Tokyo. People in smaller cities actually get to have fuller nights out....sort of.
Apparently the train companies have it within them to run 24 hour service but the people are stopping them from doing this as last trains enforce a curfew for leaving work.
██████
██████
██████