And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on May 02, 2014, 07:16:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2014, 07:13:35 PM
It was a she.  He actually did better.  He wrote the district manager, who didn't want my brother to leave, so hired him back and fired his manager.  But because my brother is stupid, he didn't take her job after it was offered to him. :frusty:
I dub your brother 'Gay Hans'.
:lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

What's U3, what's U6, and what do you mean by garbage?

Ideologue

They're the various metrics the BLS uses to track unemployment/underemployment data.  U3 is the official rate that gets reported the most, U6 is the broader net, that includes total unemployed, plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force.

Both can go down while labor force participation goes down.

U6 actually isn't that bad.  Indeed, "garbage" was hyperbole.  They're all useful numbers for different things.  As a gauge of the overall health of the economy, however, U3 is a very bad number to use.  For that, I think labor force participation is far, far superior.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

So what do they mean? U6 is long term unemployed? Six months?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

My guess is if you took a look at a long term graph of labor force participation it would not track that closely with economic good times.  For example, the large scale entry of women into the work force had next to nothing to do with increased economic activity.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2014, 08:32:06 PM
My guess is if you took a look at a long term graph of labor force participation it would not track that closely with economic good times.  For example, the large scale entry of women into the work force had next to nothing to do with increased economic activity.

Labor force participation is pretty good for comparisons between 2005 and today.  Obviously, it's a terrible metric for comparisons between 1925 and today.

Male labor force participation also has its problems and cannot be directly compared to old stats, as it is affected by female labor force participation and has been on a pronounced downward slope since the Before Times, but it has accelerated since 2008.  That said, the overall downward trend is as much a social problem as an economic one.
Kinemalogue

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

The Brain

This changes everything.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

What did the Irish do to Dorne? :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2014, 08:32:06 PM

When do people typically retire in the US?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

MadImmortalMan

They just die on the job. If they're men, anyway.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers