News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 10:15:24 AM
Complaining about grammar is just a different take on being "Stay off my lawn" old.

Spelling and grammar aren't the same thing.

Also, Syt's image was more about how the kid misspelled all of the words but illiterate.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2014, 10:49:40 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 02, 2014, 10:35:40 AM
Grammar is a means of ordering language to ease communication.  The lack of it produces recent examples such as this

I have plenty of grammer, just no commas.

Also looks like you mean "is" and not "if."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2014, 10:49:51 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 10:15:24 AM
Complaining about grammar is just a different take on being "Stay off my lawn" old.

Spelling and grammar aren't the same thing.

Also, Syt's image was more about how the kid misspelled all of the words but illiterate.

Does grammar not include spelling in English?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 09:35:50 AM
Language evolves.

Degeneration is indeed a possible evolution. However, it is not the preferred outcome, except for you perhaps.

Malthus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 02, 2014, 10:59:13 AM
Language evolves.

Degeneration is indeed a possible evolution. However, it is not the preferred outcome, except for you perhaps.

I'm ignoring the accent on HVC's name as we speak.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 10:05:33 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 02, 2014, 09:51:01 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 09:11:28 AM
Fucking Muslims.

I respect your French-Canadian culture.

Taking away our Ham would be 100 times worse than taking away our ability to speak French. A THOUSAND TIMES.

French Canadian culture evolves
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2014, 10:49:51 AM

Yeah it was a joke.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malthus on May 02, 2014, 11:00:39 AM
Language evolves.

I'm ignoring the accent on HVC's name as we speak.  :D

What "accent" is it btw? ;)

garbon

Language evolves.

Of course there is something to be said about degeneration being in the eye of the beholder.

Norgy

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/05/02/steve_hickey_republican_south_dakota_legislator_pens_fantastically_crude.html

QuoteConsider this an open letter to the medical and psychological communities in South Dakota. The subject is homosexuality, which is about to be a front-page topic for the next few years in our state. I'm asking the doctors who practice in our state, is the science really settled on this issue or is it more the case that you feel silenced and intimidated?
Certainly there are board-certified doctors in our state who will attest to what seems self-evident to so many: gay sex is not good for the body or mind. Pardon a crude comparison but regarding men with men, we are talking about a one-way alley meant only for the garbage truck to go down. Frankly, I'd question the judgment of doctor who says it's all fine.

:hmm:

Prediction: Does not ask for anal.

Grey Fox

Language evolves.

There is entire generations, across any languages, of 0 to ~30 years old who agree with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 11:42:28 AM
Language evolves.

There is entire generations, across any languages, of 0 to ~30 years old who agree with me.

Appeal to authority, and a brilliant one, by including toddlers this time.

derspiess

My three-year old probably agrees.  She has come up with her own version of Spanglish that only we can understand.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

To (some) toddlers, I am the authority.